To Timberwolf - Stay Safe!
Jack, I know you live in the Tampa area.  I hope you survive Ian and I pray you've done all the necessary prep.  I'm in the path as well.  Got everything battened down and secured as best I can.  See you on the other side!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Best to both of you, and anyone else in its path.
(09-28-2022, 06:54 AM)AHill Wrote: Jack, I know you live in the Tampa area.  I hope you survive Ian and I pray you've done all the necessary prep.  I'm in the path as well.  Got everything battened down and secured as best I can.  See you on the other side!

There are a couple of Ian threads in the basement (in case you want to stick your head in).

I had forgotten that your FL move was to the Orlando area. - my bad.
Sigh

Jack, Knothead, and George_G all seem to be doing well so far. No report on Bones, but he should be north of the worst of things.

Fred reports ~6" of rain so far at his place (as of an hour or 2 ago).

The part of the family in Bradenton are doing well other than losing power ~4pm.

My best thoughts for your staying safe, too.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I hope everyone is safe. Lot's of destruction down there.
(09-28-2022, 06:54 AM)AHill Wrote: Jack, I know you live in the Tampa area.  I hope you survive Ian and I pray you've done all the necessary prep.  I'm in the path as well.  Got everything battened down and secured as best I can.  See you on the other side!
Thank you Allan...We were extremely lucky to dodge the BIG bullet that hit about 100miles south...Very little rain and winds topping out at about 100mph in gusts. I have not driven very far...just around the general area, but not nearly the damage I was expecting..I was lucky, the really strongest winds did not take my power down, but it was off yesterday for about 12 hours even tho the winds had died to about 40MPH. Nobody around had any power...I think the substation had some major trouble..it's only a few blocks away. I can usually hear the Oil Circuit Breakers when they fire and drop their load.

I really think that you folks had a worse time than we did, because we had no flooding in the area that I know of..a very DRY hurricane in my area. The main thing is we ALL survived, thank God...Let's pray for those that were not so lucky!!..I just made a donation to Samaritan's Purse Hurricane Relief to help those guys on the way to assist them..I wish I were able to go help..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(09-30-2022, 02:16 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ...................
Thank you Allan...We were extremely lucky to dodge the BIG bullet that hit about 100miles south...Very little rain and winds topping out at about 100mph in gusts. I have not driven very far...just around the general area, but not nearly the damage I was expecting..I was lucky, the really strongest winds did not take my power down, but it was off yesterday for about 12 hours even tho the winds had died to about 40MPH. Nobody around had any power...I think the substation had some major trouble..it's only a few blocks away. I can usually hear the Oil Circuit Breakers when they fire and drop their load.

I really think that you folks had a worse time than we did, because we had no flooding in the area that I know of..a very DRY hurricane in my area. The main thing is we ALL survived, thank God...Let's pray for those that were not so lucky!!..I just made a donation to Samaritan's Purse Hurricane Relief to help those guys on the way to assist them..I wish I were able to go help..

Anyone heard from Allan yet?
(09-30-2022, 02:41 PM)Wipedout Wrote: Anyone heard from Allan yet?

He posted in the basement 9hr ago.
Quote:I heard on the news today that Orlando got 24" of rain in 24 hours. That's a LOT of rain. Definitely gave me a challenge to contain the pool overflow onto my pool deck. The deck drains just couldn't keep up with it.

Sounds like he came through okay.

Anyone heard from Bones?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Geez,

Hope you guys are safe back there...Jack is too ornery to let a little water stop him...hopefully AHill makes out ok also...

Meanwhile we have one of the worst droughts in California and we have another month most likely before we get any rain, if we get rain. Last year we only got one storm of any significance.

At least you guys have a stand up Governor in Florida, I won't mention the xxxxxxx we have in California.
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
(09-30-2022, 02:16 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: We were extremely lucky to dodge the BIG bullet that hit about 100miles south...
Good thing you don't live in trailer, I hear those trailers are magnets for hurricanes.
Big Grin

About 10 years ago my mortgage broker had a townhouse rental wiped out in SC during a hurricane. The building code required they made a number of reinforcements for the building, similar to how they require earthquake standards in Cali. I didn't know this but if you don't own your home and that happens, you need to keep paying your mortgage for the duration. His property sat empty for over a year and he had to pay the mortgage...Even he said, the majority of people can't sustain that type of loss and lose it all...

I was watching a video where DeSantis was telling people, "Don't even try looting in Florida, because they stand by the 2nd amendment...", lots of 2A changes in the air these days...
Wink
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
(10-01-2022, 04:37 AM)TraditionalToolworks Wrote: Good thing you don't live in trailer, I hear those trailers are magnets for hurricanes.
Big Grin

About 10 years ago my mortgage broker had a townhouse rental wiped out in SC during a hurricane. The building code required they made a number of reinforcements for the building, similar to how they require earthquake standards in Cali. I didn't know this but if you don't own your home and that happens, you need to keep paying your mortgage for the duration. His property sat empty for over a year and he had to pay the mortgage...Even he said, the majority of people can't sustain that type of loss and lose it all...

I was watching a video where DeSantis was telling people, "Don't even try looting in Florida, because they stand by the 2nd amendment...", lots of 2A changes in the air these days...
Wink
Allen, Hurricane Andrew that wrecked South Florida back in the eighties prompted many changes in the building codes in the state, all for the better. Fortunately my house is built to those improved codes...Some counties have more mobile or manufactured homes than they do conventional homes..and those are the ones that I feel for. They can't tolerate winds of 150mph like Ian was when it came ashore. I hear the death toll is up to 87 now, mostly due to high water.

Power line equipment lined up and ready to restore the hurricane damage..Just imagine the coordination it takes to manage a fleet like this.

[Image: E324-B4-B0-3353-469-D-B8-EB-3375-BBA9-A50-F.jpg]
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset