Birch/PolyShades
I hate birch, unless it's plywood.  Worked with some store bough stuff the last couple weeks.  Every stick of it was very 'reactive'.  As in bowed all to hell when cutting even tho it was beautiffully straight rough (skip planed).  Even a 'good' glue line shows up, and I wasn't able to get a very good grain match.  First time in 40 years I've worked it... and I expect I'll be dead before I do it again.  

Now to PolyShades.  OMG.  For arts and crafts projects... yeah, maybe.  For furniture, no.  I ended up putting it on and wiping it off for the color (and maybe a teensy bit of 'sealing') before moving on the MixWax poly.  With a brush.  Which I suspect I won't be happy with... but the end user will think it's okay.  

Normally I would have sprayed lacquer, but I left my big compressor in Texas.  I expect the pancake would keep up for small stuff, but not cabinet boxes.  I planned on buying a new compressor all along, so maybe I oughta just go ahead and do it.  Juuuust in case somebody else wants something built.  
Laugh
Having done that once (Polyshades on birch, over 35 years ago)I swore then and still think Minwax should be prosecuted for putting that product out on the market. It really is chit! On the other hand I don't have a problem with birch and find it useful from time to time.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.