Socket set organizer out of wood...got one?
I keep my socket sin an empty mayo jar with a hole through the lid to let the wrench pass through......not ideal.

So, I've got nothing to do this afternoon and thought I'd try to come up with a holder.  I want them to hang vertically on my shop wall, so they need to be held in place somehow.

I was thinking of a piece of pine/cherry,  maybe 3-4" wide and gluing in square pegs that the sockets would fit over.  Then I thought I could use some of that fabric stretch material and stretch it over end-for-end, attach it @ the ends to hold the sockets in place while they hang on the wall.

Got a better way to store sockets?

I've checked the Tube of You
Smile and some guys use magnets to hold them against their holder.  I'm cheap so I want to use basic material I've got in the house.  However, I'd love to see your method of holding your sockets on a piece of wood on the wall.  thanks!
Dumber than I appear
I used short pieces of dowel.
Short because small sockets do not allow them to pass through
And dowels because they do not have to be square. Makes for much quicker build.
I have written the size of the sockets on the wood to help my old eyes-and make it easy to spot the missing ones
magnets instead of projections???
Well, after an afternoon in the shop, I decided to go a different route.

I'm making a carrying case for them.  The bottom will have 4 dado grooves in it to hold the sockets (which I can remove a strip at a time).  I still have to work out how I'll incorporate the wrench, extension, hand-held screw driver (that accepts the sockets....for when you don't need much force) and the 1/4 --> 3/8" (or is it 1/2 "??) converter.

I have some flock so I might flock the inside, but that's further down the road.

I'll post picture of my progress in a day or so.
Dumber than I appear
I have the big Craftsman set in the plastic box—it doesn’t keep things where they belong for shite!
Been putting up with it for years.
I recently started making socket trays (boxes without lids) for each size socket set.
I’ll make some trays for the wrenches and odds & ends, then build a proper box for all of it.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I ditched my plastic holder case years ago after to many accidental openings that left me figuring out where to put everything again. I bought some of those HF socket rails. They work pretty good but don't release as well as I would like.
(10-01-2022, 11:22 AM)Dumb_Polack Wrote: I keep my socket sin an empty mayo jar with a hole through the lid to let the wrench pass through......not ideal.

So, I've got nothing to do this afternoon and thought I'd try to come up with a holder.  I want them to hang vertically on my shop wall, so they need to be held in place somehow.

I was thinking of a piece of pine/cherry,  maybe 3-4" wide and gluing in square pegs that the sockets would fit over.  Then I thought I could use some of that fabric stretch material and stretch it over end-for-end, attach it @ the ends to hold the sockets in place while they hang on the wall.

Got a better way to store sockets?

I've checked the Tube of You
Smile and some guys use magnets to hold them against their holder.  I'm cheap so I want to use basic material I've got in the house.  However, I'd love to see your method of holding your sockets on a piece of wood on the wall.  thanks!

Screw these to a piece of wood.

Amazon.com: MichaelPro MP014001 3-Piece Aluminum Socket Organizer Rail Set- 1/4-inch, 3/8-Inch, and 1/2-Inch Drive Tool Socket Organizers Hold 46 Sockets, Heavy Duty Socket Storage : Automotive

They work well.
See ya later,
Bill
(10-02-2022, 08:08 PM)Bill_de Wrote: Screw these to a piece of wood.

Amazon.com: MichaelPro MP014001 3-Piece Aluminum Socket Organizer Rail Set- 1/4-inch, 3/8-Inch, and 1/2-Inch Drive Tool Socket Organizers Hold 46 Sockets, Heavy Duty Socket Storage : Automotive

They work well.

Bill?

That involves spending some cabbage and I'm a cheap SOB. 
Smile

I'm almost done with my socket case holder.  It ain't perfect bit it'll get the job done.  (I need to keep telling myself "It ain't a piece of fine furniture."  I did that just after I decided to try an inlay around the case.....
Sad
Dumber than I appear
(10-02-2022, 08:08 PM)Bill_de Wrote: Screw these to a piece of wood.

They work well.

Smart
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
I'm watching this thread for "a better idea". I've struggled with the molded plastic cases too. My Stanley set at least holds the pieces where they're supposed to be and I can tell at a glance what's missing, but I'm down to one of the four plastic latches. The wrenches don't go big or small enough for a "set"  yet they went overboard on the sockets.

My best solution so far is 2 sets of 10 (english + metric) gear wrenches on hoops I fashioned from an insulation support. My go to socket set is this simple Makita set.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-IMPAC...lsrc=aw.ds
The sockets are decent but the holder is great ; especially with a home for the 1/4 hex. x 3/8 sq. adapter. The sockets come out easily but don't ever fall out. I keep a swivel head ratchet and 6" extension bundled to it with a rubber band. Also, when I just went to get this link, I noticed it's now available in metric. It's already in my cart at Amazon.

The take-away is that I can carry all three sets, which covers most of my needs, in one hand. I just toss them in the tool bag when done and they're still all together the next time I need them.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"