Help with shellac on cherry?
I'm applying shellac to these cherry pieces.  When applying to the narrow edges, excess ends up on the wide faces. 

I've gone through this three times sanding down with 600 grit paper each time but then I get a white v powder to clean up. 

How do you experts do this?

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Are you using a brush? I usually pad it on and the pad can extend around the corners. (PS: I'm not one of the experts but thought I'd reply anyway.)
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If you only want to apply it to the edges then use a rag or paper towel to apply it, carefully, so it doesn't go over the edge.  The other option is to tape off the faces first.  

If you want to do the whole part then do whatever surface is the show surface last first.  I would still use a rag or paper towel, or spray if that's an option for you.  

John

Edit:  Do the show surface first.  Sorry for the confusion.
I'll try that.  Thanks!
Semper fi,
Brad

(10-02-2022, 09:19 AM)jteneyck Wrote: If you only want to apply it to the edges then use a rag or paper towel to apply it, carefully, so it doesn't go over the edge.  The other option is to tape off the faces first.  

If you want to do the whole part then do whatever surface is the show surface last first.  I would still use a rag or paper towel, or spray if that's an option for you.  

John

Edit:  Do the show surface first.  Sorry for the confusion.

Unless I am going to spray, I do what John says. Face (show) then edge (non-show). First & second rounds are usually brushed with either foam or Taklon, depends on how I'm feeling that day. And I don't worry much about the runs since I'll be both sanding and padding later. If a pass with a loaded pad ("rubber", "mouse", "tampon" depending on what book or language is in effect for your methods) doesn't literally wipe out any run then I just reload with mostly alcohol and make another pass.

You can add a splash of pure turpentine to your working container of shellac to extend the open time. I'll have to go look it up in my notes but I think I was using a teaspoon (or maybe a bit less) per pint. Most helpful when spraying. Use a respirator, etc.

Shellac is very forgiving.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I use a brush a lot. If you're careful on the edges you can avoid it, but padding helps you from applying the shellac too thick, too.
I tried it with those blue shop towels last night and it worked great.

I sanded down the uneven shellac and the weird powdery look some of it had.  Then wiped it on with a 1# cut.  Worked great.  Thanks!
Semper fi,
Brad