Used plane prices
Colleagues: age and medical maladies are taking their toll and it is time to sell off some planes. From what I have heard and read on some sites, it seems that used Lie-Nielsen planes bring in about 75-85% of the new price. Can this really be true??
(10-02-2022, 07:38 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: Colleagues: age and medical maladies are taking their toll and it is time to sell off some planes. From what I have heard and read on some sites, it seems that used Lie-Nielsen planes bring in about 75-85% of the new price. Can this really be true??

12-18 mo. ago they’d bring more than new because you couldn’t find any. 

This all assumes they aren’t dented rust buckets or have had the iron ground down to a nub.
At a minimum. If you're willing to ship overseas, you could place them on that auction site and probably get more than you paid for them.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
If some are not currently in production or not in stock for an extended period of time they would bring more than new. Others in domestic market sell for a little discount from new assuming they are in great condition.

I purchased couple of them on the forums for around 20-25% off the new price as there are no selling fees for the seller. I sold something on Ebay recently and paid around 15% on fees alone.
As a rule of thumb, I consider used tools to be worth about 50%-75% of MSRP, but I have to want something pretty bad to pay 75% of MSRP, at that point I'll just go buy it new from the vendor, LN in this case, and LN is very nice to deal with.

Some cases the item is not available on the LN site, those cases might warrant 75% for me, but common planes I can go buy from LN will be new and if I have any problems they will take care of it. There are no scratches or marks that I might think to myself, "self, the guy did use this, 75% was not such a great deal..."

This is just me and how I think about it, there could be someone else that would be tickled pink that he saved 10%, just that person is not me. While I like LN planes and have several of them, I have a LV plane, and the majority of common planes are Stanley. The LN are easier to adjust and get nice shavings from, but that should never be an excuse for someone with Stanley planes, they work just fine.

If you have a bunch of LN hand planes that you have not used much, you may have let your emotions get the best of you. If you've used them hard and are thinking you can get 75% of MSRP, maybe there is someone around that would do that because they know you.

All that said, one of my favorite hand planes happens to be an LN, it's the 62 low angle jack plane. It has been so useful to me I feel it's worth buying new from LN, they also sell a toothed blade that turns it into a great scrub plane as well as an extra angle blade I believe. $300 list. So I would pay you $225-$255. Even at $225 I don't think I would buy used, and that's the most useful plane I own. I don't consider myself cheap, I have a number of tools I have bought from TLN and he's a great guy to deal with. XLNT customer service, so if someone did buy one and there was a problem he could fix it. The prices for repairs have always been more than fair. This is probably why you were even surprised when you heard it!
Winkgrin
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.
Check eBay for LN sold planes (not the asking price for active sales) or venture to the WN Forum Tools Swap-N-Sell. That will give you a better ideal on prices. If you sell via WoodNet, it probably will sell quicker, considering it's mostly woodworkers that are forum members.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Some of the above responses don't mention that there are many LN model numbers no longer in production, and items may be driven up in price by scarcity.  Also to be mentioned is the notable price increases that have been instated by LN;  for example, the new list price for their chisels is now $95. instead of $55.00.  If I was selling my LN stuff I would begin with the current price list for items still in production and then adjust the asking price for wear and tear on the items to be sold.  The same is true for the discontined tools.  Rarity and demand will drive those prices.  This market-place at Woodnet seems to be about the most realistic marketplace in terms of price and seller integrity.
I just watched a LN 4 1/2 go for more on ebay than the sell for new. I paid less a couple of months ago for what it sold for.. .still confused by that.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
(10-03-2022, 06:13 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Some of the above responses don't mention that there are many LN model numbers no longer in production, and items may be driven up in price by scarcity.  Also to be mentioned is the notable price increases that have been instated by LN;  for example, the new list price for their chisels is now $95. instead of $55.00.  If I was selling my LN stuff I would begin with the current price list for items still in production and then adjust the asking price for wear and tear on the items to be sold.  The same is true for the discontined tools.  Rarity and demand will drive those prices.  This market-place at Woodnet seems to be about the most realistic marketplace in terms of price and seller integrity.

Price increases not just by LN.  Lee Valley Veritas PM-V11 chisels are now in the $90 range as well.  A 1/2" PM-V11 bench chisel is $92. Lee Valley no longer sells A2 chisels.  A Narex 1/2" bench chisel is a steal at $15.50, so price increases haven't hit Narex yet.  A Veritas No. 4 plane with A2 iron is $105 less than the LN No. 4, so Veritas planes still sport a significant cost advantage over LN.  Several years ago, I sold some of my LN planes I didn't use much via Swap-N-Sell here.  Every single plane sold the same day I posted them for sale.  Good luck getting your stuff sold and I hope your medical issues are taken care of.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(10-03-2022, 06:46 PM)Scott W Wrote: I just watched a LN 4 1/2 go for more on ebay than the sell for new. I paid less a couple of months ago for what it sold for.. .still confused by that.

International buyers most likely; they have to pay VAT if they purchase new, and give the dollar is high, they also get killed by the exchange rate on a new purchase.  Here:  https://www.classichandtools.com/shop-by...lanes/c588

you see in the UK the LN 4 1/2 is GBP395, which equates to US$452, and LN sells it for US$360 here in the US.  for some reason, the #3 is GBP430, which is US$492, when LN sells it here for US$325.  Go figure.  I feel bad for those across the pond.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis