Trailer for lumber runs?
Right now I’m renting a U-haul pickup truck whenever I need to go get lumber or plywood (Bay Area, so about 15 miles on a highway). It’s a pain and gets pricey - always ends up being $80-$100 per run given U-haul’s mileage fee. I’ve been looking for better options that don’t involve buying another car. Does anyone here use a trailer for lumber runs? If so, how well does it work for you?
Computer geek and amateur woodworker.
Even though I have a pickuo truck with 6 1/2' bed, I use my utility trailer when going to buy hardwood.  The trailer has a 6X12 bed.  It weighs 990 pounds empty and can haul a payload of 2500 pounds.

I bought my trailer seven years ago new for about $1800, IIRC.  I've used it to haul many things from manure for the garden, construction debris, concrete block, mulch, stationary power tools, you name it.  The trailer has a fold up ramp that is rated for 1500 pounds, so I can drive the ATV and mower up onto it when needed.

What kind of vehicle would you be using to pull a trailer?  That's really going to be the factor that gives you the "bounds of the box" when it comes to a utility trailer.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
I have a 8x4 utility trailer that I can tow behind my Toyota hatchback. It's a locally built unit, very sturdy and fully galvanised, but still light enough to push around and park out of the way. Trailer is rated for 1500kg, but the Toyota and hitch are rated more like 1200. 

Make sure the front gate can be dropped if you are hauling longer boards. That way you can get the weight forward enough to keep the hitch weight correct. This is extra important with a lighter tow vehicle. 

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4165]
I also have a truck with a 6 1/2' bed, but use a trailer occasionally. Mine is a 6x10', and like R Clark has a load capacity around 2500# (+/-). 10' long handles most lengths, but it wouldn't hurt if it was only 5' wide, that would still hold most sheet goods. But someone mentioned your tow vehicle and that's a very important point....don't get more than it can handle.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If OP has or can borrow a pickup, this is an option.  When my pickup only had a 6.5' bed, I bought one of these (I've since gotten a new truck with a full 8' bed, but still use it occasionally):

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020521816

That was the first link I found, they can be had for less elsewhere.  It can go low, or high, I built an upper support rack when used high and transported 16' stock with it.  Fits in your trailer hitch.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
who needs a trailer.
Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

While not as convenient as owning your own trailer, you can rent a U-Haul 5x8 trailer for less than $20 for 6 hours.

Depending on how often you plan on hauling anything, this might be the most economical solution.
wonder how the HD truck rental compares to the U-haul truck rental?

I think its like $20/hr plus fuel.

Dunno if you actually have to buy something at HD to rent it.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I bought a 4x8 trailer from Harbor Freight for about $250.00
and it folds up to store away.
Been using it for 30 years.
I had one of the small folding 4x8 trailers years ago while functional for your intended purpose it was a frustrating trailer to move in any of its states.
Whether folded on it’s tiny wheels and top heavy or extended and backing it up it was difficult to maneuver.

If your car has a hitch, or uhaul can put one on it, I’d think renting an inexpensive trailer from them would be ideal.
Longer tongue than folder and bigger tires mean easier backing.
And letting them store, tag it, and pay for tires is better than doing all those yourself. Unless you see yourself using it for much more than occasional use.