Trailer for lumber runs?
For occasional use you can't beat a Uhaul trailer if they are conveniently located to you. $30 or so for 6 hours and built like a tank. It will carry as much as most cars can tow. A ton of wood will keep most hobby woodworkers busy for quite awhile.
If you decide to buy a trailer I recommend a 5 x 10 ft model over anything smaller assuming your vehicle can tow at least 3000 lbs. Also, I recommend one with a wood floor and a lift gate that detaches easily. Loading and unloading sheet goods and lumber is much easier without a lift gate.
John
(10-02-2022, 10:07 PM)abernat Wrote: Right now I’m renting a U-haul pickup truck whenever I need to go get lumber or plywood (Bay Area, so about 15 miles on a highway). It’s a pain and gets pricey - always ends up being $80-$100 per run given U-haul’s mileage fee. I’ve been looking for better options that don’t involve buying another car. Does anyone here use a trailer for lumber runs? If so, how well does it work for you?
You can get a harbor freight fold up trailer on CL for not much just make sure the bearings a good.   My brother had one he would store against the fence in his backyard 
https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive...lding.html

I don't know if you have secure storage for a trailer and lately they seem to get stolen more often that not if you don't
Now here's what I would do when I want something enclosed I line up a truck at Home Depot.  

[Image: featured-image-home-depot-truck.jpeg-1.jpg]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Where are you going for your lumber?
And what dimensions/quantity in a trip, or is this slabs?

Moore Newton has free delivery for >$500, and their prices were decent.
Only open weekdays, however.

Matt
(10-04-2022, 12:02 AM)mdhills Wrote: Where are you going for your lumber?
And what dimensions/quantity in a trip, or is this slabs?

Moore Newton has free delivery for >$500, and their prices were decent.
Only open weekdays, however.

Matt

If I remember correctly he is in Mountain View.  I would almost bet he heads south to pick up lumber.  
If I had to guess I would pick Global Wood Source in Campbell
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Rental trailer is certainly an option if it's only occasional use. But the convenience of having your own, or more frequent use, makes buying one a decent option. The really cheap "harbour freight" folding style are a bit suspect if you are hauling any serious load, and basically don't pass certification standards here. They might be OK with a 500lb, but they know some "person" will dump 2,000 on one, and then the wheels fall off on the highway. There were some cheap trailer kits sold here though the chain hardware stores, and they ended up having to recall most of them. Axles weren't up to even the stated specs. 

Thing is a decent utility trailer basically gives a Camry the same (or possibly better) hauling capacity as a decent pickup, but the other 6 days of the week you get the Camry / Accord economy.  

You do have to keep the load weight in mind, but 500 bd/ft on a trailer is a breeze. Just balance the load right, drive smooth and keep some clear space in front as your braking is somewhat  compromised.
(10-04-2022, 01:45 AM)ianab Wrote: Rental trailer is certainly an option if it's only occasional use. But the convenience of having your own, or more frequent use, makes buying one a decent option. The really cheap "harbour freight" folding style are a bit suspect if you are hauling any serious load, and basically don't pass certification standards here. They might be OK with a 500lb, but they know some "person" will dump 2,000 on one, and then the wheels fall off on the highway. There were some cheap trailer kits sold here though the chain hardware stores, and they ended up having to recall most of them. Axles weren't up to even the stated specs. 

Thing is a decent utility trailer basically gives a Camry the same (or possibly better) hauling capacity as a decent pickup, but the other 6 days of the week you get the Camry / Accord economy.  

You do have to keep the load weight in mind, but 500 bd/ft on a trailer is a breeze. Just balance the load right, drive smooth and keep some clear space in front as your braking is somewhat  compromised.

Storage and theft are issues here for most.  I would rather have a truck or rent one unless I had a secure place to store a trailer.  Funny thing is if I got the City right there is a Harbor Freight there and good chance he can find one used.

Phil Thien

Thanks, folks! I admit I was drooling over the new electric f-150, but apparently I’m 181st in line and they’re serving 40. 

… not an option.

Trailer it is! I’m lucky enough to have a driveway where I can stash it, and I’ll definitely keep in mind locking it to a post. I don’t get that much at a time so I bet the harbor freight model would be fine. 

Oh, and I go to Aura (or what used to be Aura … I think they got bought) in San Jose. I will definitely check out Global Wood Source - they’ve got some pretty stuff!
Computer geek and amateur woodworker.
I've been using a 4x8 1500# rated open trailer for about 15 years now.  It works great for my needs.  In the coming years, as I build more tables, I'm sure I'll need to get something bigger, but I love this little thing.
Semper fi,
Brad

For a while over the past couple years the HF trailers disappeared as mentioned above.

I was under the impression it was due to wheel tire sets that didn’t meet DOT specs, it could also have been axles as mentioned above. So I would be cautious buying a used trailer of the folding variety tgat they sold.

I have a 5x8 single axle with detachable ramp that has served me well for 12 years, and I have no doubt overloaded it a few times.
I’ve got a homemade 4x8 trailer that’s probably limited to 1000# because of the springs (I took out a couple of leaves when I originally built it as a teardrop camper). Hauls most anything I need. If I were to do it again, I’d build it 5 ft wide…mostly because at only 4’ wide it hides from my mirrors, and I sometimes have to guess where it is when I’m backing it up.

I’d also recommend having sides/tailgate that take it up to at least 3’ high…I got rear-ended with mine twice when it was basically a flatbed trailer or had 8” sides.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp