Trailer for lumber runs?
I would love a pick up- but I will live with my Jeep Liberty. I have a 5 x 10 trailer that has been great. I like the fact that a sheet of plywood or drywall guys in it easily.

Photo 
(10-02-2022, 10:07 PM)abernat Wrote: I’ve been looking for better options that don’t involve buying another car. Does anyone here use a trailer for lumber runs? If so, how well does it work for you?

I am a hobby woodworker who likes using hand tools, so I don't buy lumber in huge quantities.  I also don't really use sheet goods very often.

Recently I got a Subaru Outback with a hitch receiver, thinking that I could rent a trailer if needed.  I think when you rent a trailer they don't charge mileage, which makes it cheaper than renting a truck.  Renting has the advantage of not having to store, register, and maintain (lights and tires) a trailer.

What I have found is the Outback by itself is actually very good for hauling lumber.   I just strap the lumber on top of the car using the factory roof rack with the rear crossbar moved to the rear position.  The Outback is not very tall, which makes getting the wood on top easier.  Just inside each door is a nice foot step to get up a little higher.  I can haul 12' lumber this way without trouble. 

This is 12' LP Smartside Lap Siding, which is much floppier than real wood, but still worked:

I also bought a Harbor Freight Truck Bed Extender to haul longer lumber.  In the upright position it sticks up higher than the roof, which is a little awkward, but it also works.

For sheet goods, my lumberyard will make one cut for free using their panel saw, so I usually do that to get it to a reasonable width and then either put it inside or on top.  The Truck Bed Extender is over 4' wide, so I could probably also use that, but I haven't tried it.

Mark
For small amounts the roof rack as Mark mentioned is not a bad idea, but you may want to look in owners manual at the rated capacity.

Last time I looked at one, it was rated for a very low weight like 75 pounds. Doesn’t take much lumber to hit that weight.

Looks like the Subaru Outback has been rated as low as 100lbs for 2003 to 2009 models and up to 175lbs for much newer models.
Doing some "urban logging" today.  It's not my trailer in the pic, but similar. No problem hauling that lumber or the mill (even both) on that style of trailer. 

Stealth gloat, got maybe 500 bd/ft of cypress, and at least that much more still to saw.  

(10-09-2022, 04:29 AM)ianab Wrote: Doing some "urban logging" today.  It's not my trailer in the pic, but similar. No problem hauling that lumber or the mill (even both) on that style of trailer. 

Stealth gloat, got maybe 500 bd/ft of cypress, and at least that much more still to saw.  

Did you get a mill?  We're going to need more details on that....

When I was looking for a replacement vehicle, I considered my options and opted for a pickup that would haul what I wanted.  Before that, i used the wife's minivan as a lumber hauler.  Either on the roof rack or in the back with the seats out.  It required a bit of cleaning sometimes when I was done depending on the wood but it worked great.
I bought this 5x10 trailer new about 20 years ago for around $850 at Tractor Supply.. I made the sides. I just replaced the old sides which I made 20 years ago. Every couple years I clean and grease the bearings. It owes me nothing and I'll probably keep it till I die. I've gutted and remodeled 2 houses with it, hauled stone, manure, motorcycles, soil, mulch, lumber and all sorts of things I wouldn't want to put in a nice truck. Not sure what a new one costs today but 20 years from now you'd realize how many times over you got your money's worth. To me, it's much more versatile than a truck.

[Image: 6upiIKV.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(10-11-2022, 10:24 AM)stav Wrote: Did you get a mill?  We're going to need more details on that....

It's the Peterson JP in the picture. It's a smaller swing blade mill made here in NZ. very portable and can handle a 3ft dia log x 12ft long. Strips down and fits on a small trailer or pickup with a ladder rack. 

https://petersonsawmills.com/portable-sa...r-sale/jp/
(10-11-2022, 11:40 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I bought this 5x10 trailer new about 20 years ago for around $850 at Tractor Supply.. I made the sides. I just replaced the old sides which I made 20 years ago. Every couple years I clean and grease the bearings. It owes me nothing and I'll probably keep it till I die. I've gutted and remodeled 2 houses with it, hauled stone, manure, motorcycles, soil, mulch, lumber and all sorts of things I wouldn't want to put in a nice truck. Not sure what a new one costs today but 20 years from now you'd realize how many times over you got your money's worth. To me, it's much more versatile than a truck.

[Image: 6upiIKV.jpg]

Might work for him but space costs plenty here and storage has to be behind a fence in most places
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(10-11-2022, 04:46 PM)ianab Wrote: It's the Peterson JP in the picture. It's a smaller swing blade mill made here in NZ. very portable and can handle a 3ft dia log x 12ft long. Strips down and fits on a small trailer or pickup with a ladder rack. 

https://petersonsawmills.com/portable-sa...r-sale/jp/

Nice little setup.