Jointer Cutter Head
LOL - I had straight knives on my 12" Jointer also and even w/ good jigs it was still a chore. The 20" planer was even worse. Tersa on my combination machine was nice, but still had the issues of straight knife tearout w/ squirrely woods (it's a subspecies of Maple and stubborn oak
Wink). I know that some folks are superb at setting straight knives quickly and I have enormous respect for them! I sadly, was never adept at it.

The J/P coming is literally the last one I am hoping I will ever need to own.

Best,
Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
(10-04-2022, 11:37 AM)wjt Wrote: I upgraded to a LUXIII spiral cutter head for my Ridgid 6" jointer. Very pleased.

Question - is there any use for the old cutter head or is it just a landfill donation ?

Thanks, Bill

Respectfully: if it were a desirable old American iron jointer, the old head would have some value. For an Asian made machine, not so much.
Reasons for spiral jointer head:

QUIETer by far.
More manageable shavings
5 minute nick fix
Did I mention quieter?
My workflow rarely sends face-jointed wood back to planer.
Did I mention quieter and quick nick fix?
Rolleyes
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
With our local timber most people prefere straight HSS knives. Tersa is the best option for twose who can afford it. Carbide doesn't cut properly.

Secondhand cutterheads sell for high prices in Finland. You may get 500-1000 euros for a three or four knife 24" head. Even smaller heads have a market value. People are upgrading their machinery from square heads and clamshell heads.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
(10-14-2022, 10:19 AM)TGW Wrote: With our local timber most people prefere straight HSS knives. Tersa is the best option for twose who can afford it. Carbide doesn't cut properly.

Secondhand cutterheads sell for high prices in Finland. You may get 500-1000 euros for a three or four knife 24" head. Even smaller heads have a market value. People are upgrading their machinery from square heads and clamshell heads.

Just curious, what is it about your local timber that makes carbide not cut it properly?

Doug
(10-14-2022, 11:22 PM)Tapper Wrote: Just curious, what is it about your local timber that makes carbide not cut it properly?

Doug

Fibrous softwood. Pine and spruce. Carbide edges are not generally not sharp enough to produce a good surface. Compressing the wood instead of cutting it smooth.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
Must be a different species than what we have over here in the USA. I've run tons of several softwood species through my 15" Shop Fox planer and 8" jointer, both with spiral carbide cutterheads with no problems whatsoever.

Doug
(10-14-2022, 10:19 AM)TGW Wrote: Secondhand cutterheads sell for high prices in Finland. You may get 500-1000 euros for a three or four knife 24" head. Even smaller heads have a market value. People are upgrading their machinery from square heads and clamshell heads.

Looks like your PM and e-mail features aren't activated. I think I still have the original 8" cutterhead from my Shop Fox jointer. If there's any market for it over in Finland and it's feasible to ship it, let me know.

doug