Jointer Cutter Head
I upgraded to a LUXIII spiral cutter head for my Ridgid 6" jointer. Very pleased.

Question - is there any use for the old cutter head or is it just a landfill donation ?

Thanks, Bill
I still have my DJ20 original cutter head in a box.  Been there for 10+ years.  Prolly gonna get tossed soon.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Transfer stations around here have a separate area for metal recycling.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
Over the years I've seen a few guys sell theirs to someone who was rebuilding an older machine and needed to have a new cutterhead machined...but generally speaking there's little market for them. I tossed my planer head and gave away the knife sets here. I still have the jointer head, I used it in my hydraulic press to bend curves into sheet metal (once). Otherwise it's just sitting here gathering rust, I gave those knife sets away as well. Once in a while someone needs a gib or screws from one, and you could sell the knives.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Not to be contrary, but I never "got" the concept of a helical head for a Jointer. Planer, yeah, I get it, but when you face joint, you end up putting it through a planer, so nothing gained from the helical. Perhaps it has value for edge jointing, but for me I always hit edges with a #7 before panel glue ups. I'm also ok with knives on a planer, as I always use a smoothing plane on those surfaces as well. I guess its just me.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
The obvious advantage is not having to sharpen and set knives on a jointer, not to mention being able to rotate inserts - 4 cutting sides. Carbide stays sharper much longer than HSS. Had them on my 8" jointer and 15" planer for years. Would never go back.

Doug
What Doug said.

Yes

Sharpening went from a really good retired fellow that didn't charge much and 4 miles away to a 20 mile trip to a business. They do good work, they have overhead like any other business and the price shows it.
Still, I take my sawblades there.

Ed
(10-04-2022, 02:16 PM)meackerman Wrote: I still have my DJ20 original cutter head in a box.  Been there for 10+ years.  Prolly gonna get tossed soon.

Definitely more than 10 years, you were my first Byrd head customer.
db Admiral is another one. There is often 9-12db difference between them at minimum. This on top of the near zero tear-out are the key values for me. I have a helical head on my new j/p coming at the end of November, wouldn’t have gone any other way having had straight knives and had enough ‘fun’ with the setting of them to last a life time.

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
(10-06-2022, 10:50 AM)MichaelS Wrote: db Admiral is another one. There is often 9-12db difference between them at minimum. This on top of the near zero tear-out are the key values for me.  I have a helical head on my new j/p coming at the end of November, wouldn’t have gone any other way having had straight knives and had enough ‘fun’ with the setting of them to last a life time.

Michael

Michael,  I have a JP,  bought it with straight knives, changed over to helical a little while ago -  really miss the time I spent setting the 12 inch knives each time I honed them.