Buck saw
Question 
I inherited this buck saw from my grandfather who passed when I was very young and always wondered what the block of wood was for that was wired to it. any one know?
it measures about 7" long 2" wide and two haves bolted loosely together make it 1" thick

Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Might be "wrench" used to turn that turnbuckle....to loosen or tighten it....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(10-11-2022, 01:41 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Might be "wrench" used to turn that turnbuckle....to loosen or tighten it....

I tried ,bolts are to short . the dados are very even, those must have some purpose  maybe a story stick but why two halves . it will clamp on the blade.
Don's woodshop
(10-12-2022, 08:10 AM)Woodshop Wrote: I tried ,bolts are to short . the dados are very even, those must have some purpose  maybe a story stick but why two halves . it will clamp on the blade.

Most likely for holding the blade in your hand when you touch up the teeth with a file in the woods where you have no saw vice.
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English
Has anyone had any luck sharpening one? I've had one in my possession for probably 50 years, and it was dull then. I don't want to do something without a clue. It was a wall hanger in my Dad's basement.
If you take the 2 halves apart, are there scratch marks or the impression of saw teeth on the inside surfaces?

Are there any parts of the saw that match the size of those dados?

I assume that the size of the piece would not match up to be the lower part of the handle on the left side. If so, the saw could have originally been symmetric and the lower part of the left hand handle was cut off because your grandfather had to use it in a tight location. He might have kept it a s part of the reference if he got around to re-making that left handle. Of course, if that were the case, there likely would be dados in the lower right handle.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Those bucksaws only had a handle on one side IME, so probably not saved as a pattern.

It doesn’t look like it would be very useful as a sharpening aid, since the bolts are on opposite corners,

Might go across the blade as a stop so the user doesn’t get bloody knuckles, but that doesn’t explain the notches.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
Does the block batch the wires at the ends?  Maybe for making the two ends?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Just pure random speculation, but maybe it was stuck in his pocket when he was climbing a tree to trim branches. You can't stick the saw in your pocket, so perhaps a way to carry the saw up the tree. I don't think it has anything to do with the saw's operation.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(10-14-2022, 11:51 PM)iclark Wrote: If you take the 2 halves apart, are there scratch marks or the impression of saw teeth on the inside surfaces?

Thanks
Yes there are, and I saw the bolts were also wore half way through So I tried fitting it various ways on the blade finally took the blade off the saw and BAM

It's a handle for like a hole saw

Thanks everyone

Cool
Cool
Cool
Cool
Big Grin
Big Grin smart Grandpa
Don's woodshop