gas ranges, vent hood and.. return air
(10-13-2022, 09:26 AM)blackhat Wrote: Seems there may be a lack of understanding on the function and capacity of ERVs. An average residential ERV will have a net positive flow of 40 or 50 cfm. That doesn’t mean much when a range hood kicks on and rips 400 cfm out of the house.

My HVAC guy actually came back at me several days later unprovoked saying he put more thought into the issue and that an ERV wouldn't be appropriate as his initial instinct led him to believe (for all of the reasons you folks stated in this thread).  He said it'd have to be some actual makeup unit  (gas fired or electric) that could pull in and heat the incoming air.
That, to me, is a very positive sign. Says he spent some time considering your situation and actually thought through the issues and potential problems. Well done him.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(10-21-2022, 10:11 AM)blackhat Wrote: That, to me, is a very positive sign. Says he spent some time considering your situation and actually thought through the issues and potential problems. Well done him.

indeed!