island gas cooktop shutoff location
On an island with a gas cooktop which has a drawer below it, is the shutoff considered accessible if the drawer has to be removed to access it?
Yes.. plus seventeen
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(10-16-2022, 11:44 AM)mound Wrote: On an island with a gas cooktop which has a drawer below it, is the shutoff considered accessible if the drawer has to be removed to access it?

That's gonna depend on whom you ask.
(10-16-2022, 10:12 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: That's gonna depend on whom you ask.

Well... the licensed inspector says yes.  And he's pretty good about pointing out exceptions.
(10-17-2022, 06:27 AM)KC Wrote: Well... the licensed inspector says yes.  And he's pretty good about pointing out exceptions.

With a caveat..
Licensed home inspector, not a county code inspector.

I want to see the service valve and see it in a reasonably accessible location at the appliance.

He want's to know that whoever put it in was a licensed/master gas fitter and he wants to witness the pressure test and he wants to see it reasonably accessible and close to the appliance..

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(10-17-2022, 06:44 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: With a caveat..
Licensed home inspector, not a county code inspector.

I want to see the service valve and see it in a reasonably accessible location at the appliance.

He want's to know that whoever put it in was a licensed/master gas fitter and he wants to witness the pressure test and he wants to see it reasonably accessible and close to the appliance..

Hadn't thought of the pressure test.  How do they do that? Just between the range and the shutoff?  Currently there's an existing gas line (capped off) in the floor directly below the island. It'll be brought up into the cabinet, and there will be a shutoff below it.. Would they want to see a second shutoff in the rafters of the basement at the point it's being fed?
(10-17-2022, 07:15 AM)mound Wrote: Hadn't thought of the pressure test.  How do they do that? Just between the range and the shutoff?  Currently there's an existing gas line (capped off) in the floor directly below the island. It'll be brought up into the cabinet, and there will be a shutoff below it.. Would they want to see a second shutoff in the rafters of the basement at the point it's being fed?

This is in my county:

Any new pipe needs a permit and a leak/pressure test. Prior to connecting the gas line to the appliance a gauge is attached to the service valve at the appliance. Another valve, like a bicycle tire valve is attached to the other end. The line is pumped with air to 100 psi. The county inspector looks at the gauge. Then comes back 24 hours later and looks at it again. <- This is for CSST stainless. Not sure if it's different for a polyethylene pipe.

I tried to do my own propane line from the tank to the fireplace. The county wouldn't issue me a permit. Only a licensed master gas fitter could pull a permit. I needed a permit because we were doing an addition and the place was crawling with county inspectors.

I had already bought my materials. $800 and had to take them all back. The plumber did it for $3000. 3 bids, all about the same price. I chose the guy I liked the best and he did a good job.

If I were doing my own, I would pump it up and test the connections with soapy water.

You'll also need the correct regulators for the appliance... te appliance might? have it's own regulator. To much or too little gas and the appliance won't work right.

Personally... I'd have a conversation with Blackhat. He would know a lot more than me.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Thanks all. I'm going to confirm my plan with the building inspector.
Accessible seems to have as many definitions as days in a year. In the area I work, a valve behind the drawer would be the preference. If the existing pipe below the floor was tested at the time of installation, it would not require retesting. It would have required a valve and cap/plug to seal it. I would not have to pressure test the handful of connections to complete the instal. A soap test would be acceptable.   That’s my area and the work done by a licensed fitter signing the permit. Talk to your local.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(10-17-2022, 03:06 PM)blackhat Wrote: Accessible seems to have as many definitions as days in a year. In the area I work, a valve behind the drawer would be the preference. If the existing pipe below the floor was tested at the time of installation, it would not require retesting. It would have required a valve and cap/plug to seal it. I would not have to pressure test the handful of connections to complete the instal. A soap test would be acceptable.   That’s my area and the work done by a licensed fitter signing the permit. Talk to your local.

Thanks. I have no idea if the original gas line were tested.  There was black pipe going from a 90* in the basement up through the floor to a shutoff valve in the old island's cabinetry. I removed the vertical pipe and valve, and capped the line in the basement - so there is currently no shutoff in the basement, just the cap.  When the new line goes up into the new island, obviously a valve there in the island but should there also be one in the basement?