island gas cooktop shutoff location
(10-17-2022, 03:50 PM)mound Wrote: Thanks. I have no idea if the original gas line were tested.  There was black pipe going from a 90* in the basement up through the floor to a shutoff valve in the old island's cabinetry. I removed the vertical pipe and valve, and capped the line in the basement - so there is currently no shutoff in the basement, just the cap.  When the new line goes up into the new island, obviously a valve there in the island but should there also be one in the basement?

Only at the appliance.
Your inspector probably won't concern himself about the old line being permitted/tested. Usually they're only worried about new work. The inspector who inspected my propane line looked at both ends of the pipe (CSST). Didn't look at all at the other 60 ft in the crawlspace. He checked bonding and made sure it had UV protection outside the house near the tank. In and out in maybe 2 minutes... if that long. Had an addition going on at the same time. Everything was inspected and the total time they spend here from foundation to occupancy was maybe 6 inspector visits and a total of about 10 minutes.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I didn’t realize it was an island top to begin with. I assumed it was a roughed in line never connected or relocated. No need for a valve downstairs.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(10-17-2022, 04:44 PM)blackhat Wrote: I didn’t realize it was an island top to begin with. I assumed it was a roughed in line never connected or relocated. No need for a valve downstairs.

Yah, while the remodel is a complete gut job with walls taken down and completely re-wired and new layout, it just so happens that the gas range in the original design was in the same spot the new one will be, and so the existing gas line in the floor remains.