what kind of dado did Norm use? angled blade?
I caught an old NYW the other day, Norm was making a painted bookcase. His dado "stack" wasn't a stack, it was two blades; one vertical and the other on what I assume is an adjustable angle to define the width of the cut. What sort of dado blade(s) is that? how did it work? are they still available?
(10-19-2022, 01:58 PM)mound Wrote: I caught an old NYW the other day, Norm was making a painted bookcase. His dado "stack" wasn't a stack, it was two blades; one vertical and the other on what I assume is an adjustable angle to define the width of the cut. What sort of dado blade(s) is that? how did it work? are they still available?

Early shows he used a wobble dado, that used a mechanism to wobble the blade left and right. 

They may still be available but suffer from a slightly curved bottom to the dado. 

In later shows he transitioned to the dado stack with 2 blades on outside and chippers in between that most of us are familiar with.
Probably a "wobble dado blade." Never owned or used one. Far as I know they are still made.
Adjustable, but I would think more 'fiddly' than a true dado blade set. But having said that, I end
up making multiple test cuts anyway, with my more 'normal" dado stack.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
Norm used a wobble dado in the early seasons. At some point he switched over to a stack dado that we all know and love. I'd have to assume the wobble dado he used was a Delta brand since they were a bog sponsor of the show. I can't think of a single good reason to use a wobble dado if you have access to a stack set. I started with a wobble blade and will never go back.
(10-19-2022, 02:53 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: Norm used a wobble dado in the early seasons. At some point he switched over to a stack dado that we all know and love. I'd have to assume the wobble dado he used was a Delta brand since they were a bog sponsor of the show. I can't think of a single good reason to use a wobble dado if you have access to a stack set. I started with a wobble blade and will never go back.

More likely made by Vermont American, as opposed to Delta, as they were also a sponsor of the show.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-19-2022, 03:46 PM)Admiral Wrote: More likely made by Vermont American, as opposed to Delta, as they were also a sponsor of the show.

Forgot about VA, you're probably correct about that. And the more I think about it, I'm pretty sure it was a VA wobble dado that made me learn to hate them- they were everywhere in the 80's-90's. But I do remember at some point he switched over to a dado stack becuase he started using that term some point later in the series.
I still have a Sears wobble dado blade.  It worked OK but, as said, leaves a slightly rounded bottom and edges with more tearout than the stacked dado set I now use.  

John
Pretty sure this is what was used in the first two seasons:

Attached Files Image(s)

I remember those wobble blades Norm used early on in the series.  He did say that the arced bottom of the cut was an issue.

Since Norm worked out of Rush Morash's shop on the show, he was using what was available in that shop.  As he gained a following and increasing sponsor dollars, the new tools and upgrades to the existing shop came right along with it.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
what was the adjustment mechanism?