Well that went gone
I started turning a walnut crotch bowl and had chips flying to the right of me.  All of a sudden poof a flash of light and just a bit of smoke and the lathe shut down.

I unplugged the lathe and looked at the back where the wiring was and the control box on the 3520b.  Saw no burn marks but did look in the fuse box and the breaker was tripped.  So I reset it and went back and plugged it back in and well........................nothing.

So I got out the floor jack and moved it away from where it was so I could get at the back tomorrow.  It is still unplugged and will stay that way until it is fixed

What has me wondering is the WHY it happened.  Well now to look at the manual and God forbid contact PM to see how much GOLD it will cost to get the part and hopefully I can get it fixed locally.

I figure it will cost $1500 or so for the control box since they wanted $40 with shipping for a spray can of paint.
(10-21-2022, 09:30 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I started turning a walnut crotch bowl and had chips flying to the right of me.  All of a sudden poof a flash of light and just a bit of smoke and the lathe shut down.

I unplugged the lathe and looked at the back where the wiring was and the control box on the 3520b.  Saw no burn marks but did look in the fuse box and the breaker was tripped.  So I reset it and went back and plugged it back in and well........................nothing.

So I got out the floor jack and moved it away from where it was so I could get at the back tomorrow.  It is still unplugged and will stay that way until it is fixed

What has me wondering is the WHY it happened.  Well now to look at the manual and God forbid contact PM to see how much GOLD it will cost to get the part and hopefully I can get it fixed locally.

I figure it will cost $1500 or so for the control box since they wanted $40 with shipping for a spray can of paint.

https://www.mmtoolparts.com/lathe-inverter-jwl1642-164a

Be nice if it's true
(10-22-2022, 07:42 AM)hairy Wrote: https://www.mmtoolparts.com/lathe-inverter-jwl1642-164a

Be nice if it's true

Thanks Hairy

It looks the same but it is the same for the PM3520b?

OOPs I should have read what it said first.  Thanks buddy.  I spent all day taking it apart and now waiting for the new one I guess
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
It looks like they are closed for business.  I sent a few emails via their web address and no replys.  In the comments it says they do not respond to emails so will try their phone tomorrow
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

(10-25-2022, 08:57 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: It looks like they are closed for business.  I sent a few emails via their web address and no replys.  In the comments it says they do not respond to emails so will try their phone tomorrow

Don't hold out much hope in getting that. It sounds too good to be true. It does say obsolete. I wonder if that means the part or the ad.
Yah Powermatic also says obsolete.  An autoresponder said they received the message so I will wait to see if they have one that will work and then go looking for it cheaper

(10-26-2022, 06:47 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Yah Powermatic also says obsolete.  An autoresponder said they received the message so I will wait to see if they have one that will work and then go looking for it cheaper

I looked around a little.

https://www.aawforum.org/community/threa...rter.9904/

https://www.driveswarehouse.com/

Your lathe isn't that old, obsolete shouldn't happen that fast.

I think you will need to get the specs from your old one and try to match .
Getting to wonder now about powermatic.  Set the email monday and got the auto response later that night at 5pm and still have not heard back from them 4 days later.

(10-27-2022, 05:16 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Getting to wonder now about powermatic.  Set the email monday and got the auto response later that night at 5pm and still have not heard back from them 4 days later.

Have you tried reaching out to the folks that sold you the lathe? Sorry, but it has been long enough ago that I do not remember the name of the person from that company who used to post their sales here in SnS.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(10-27-2022, 11:48 PM)iclark Wrote: Have you tried reaching out to the folks that sold you the lathe? Sorry, but it has been long enough ago that I do not remember the name of the person from that company who used to post their sales here in SnS.

Arlin 
 Have you tried Trouble shooting your control this doc Green  has some steps 
might want to give a try

https://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/articles.html
south vietnam war collage