Joust Span
Consider this carefully. A building that size will not be easy to move. If you must, put 2 rows of cross blocking between the joists and think about building it on 3 skids.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(10-24-2022, 07:14 AM)blackhat Wrote: Consider this carefully. A building that size will not be easy to move. If you must, put 2 rows of cross blocking between the joists and think about building it on 3 skids.

What he said.  There is a reason those sheds that you buy at Home Depot or wherever that get delivered have the 4x4 skids on them, aside from that's where the blocks that they sit on go.     Thats what they use to slide the building up onto the trailer.   I have moved several small buildings and something that large I would not attempt to do (I don't know if you were planning to have it moved).  The one that was the easiest had the skids on it.   I would call a place that moves buildings and ask what they would want for framing underneath it for moving it.

For joist size I would go with a 2x10 to span 12' if you are going to live in it.   Also if you are worried about building codes, there are probably different codes in your area for a shed vs a residence, even for a tiny house.

When I built this 14 x 18 ft shed I set the 2 x 10 floor joists on five 4 x 4 beams.  I did it to avoid paying higher taxes on a building with a permanent foundation but it's a good illustration of what BlackHat and others recommended if you want to move the building.  

[Image: AL9nZEUlFS5SuKsWRj-BVT7HBrSoRervHn6_FYTl...authuser=1]

John
(10-24-2022, 07:14 AM)blackhat Wrote: Consider this carefully. A building that size will not be easy to move. If you must, put 2 rows of cross blocking between the joists and think about building it on 3 skids.

Sure.  I think I will do the three and forget the plans exactly as written.  I thought I was gonna make it easier to move and resetup by doing that but I cam see I was wrong.  I had a shed I built once that was 12x20 moved. It did well. I will say this though...I'd like to have some 24 foot 4x4's instead of connecting short ones.

As far as blocking...yes I will be doing that.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
How about 3 plys of 2x6 with staggered joints and lots of nails.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(10-24-2022, 09:56 AM)Scott W Wrote: I will say this though...I'd like to have some 24 foot 4x4's instead of connecting short ones.

a couple suggestions:

1.  lap joints on the 4x4s., screwed or bolted together
or
2.  sister some extra 2x to the floor joists to create a 3" edge where the 4x4s butt together and then find simpson strong tie products to span the ends of the 4x4s and connect them to the floor joists.

(10-23-2022, 10:31 AM)Scott W Wrote: Yes and no. I am gonna makeit a cabin type thing to stay in at times while my house is built on the land I have. After that, it will be a multi use building...eventually wired and insulated.

How much are you going to do to live in it?

Have you considered one of the places like The Cabin Shed | She Shed | Man Cave | Fisher Barns?  Don't know much you're looking to save by doing it yourself, but some of those 'in stock now' prices look decent to me.  And obviously they're built 'moveable'...
(10-24-2022, 03:30 PM)KC Wrote: How much are you going to do to live in it?

Have you considered one of the places like The Cabin Shed | She Shed | Man Cave | Fisher Barns?  Don't know much you're looking to save by doing it yourself, but some of those 'in stock now' prices look decent to me.  And obviously they're built 'moveable'...

When u say "live" in it.. it's not like I'm gonna move in...more of staying in it here and there...though i do like they tiny house thing people do 

The main reason I don't want a pre-built one is the wall height. Regardless of what I use the structure for eventually, I'd like tall walls. Especially if I use it for any shop type purpose.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11