Show me your violin display cases
My son has my father's ancient fiddle and bow, but like me no musical talent at all. But I have a grandson (age 13) that does play the violin. His uncle thinks it would be a cool idea for me to make a display case and give it to him as a Christmas presant. I doubt it's worth repairing but my daugher is going to have it made presentable, but I doubt it will ever be played agin. Any reccomendations  on how to mount it and whether to make it removable would be appreciated. Somehow the idea that it would never be touched again by human hands is mildly offensive to me.
I had a good day. I used every tool I own!
(10-23-2022, 01:22 PM)Papa Jim Wrote: My son has my father's ancient fiddle and bow, but like me no musical talent at all. But I have a grandson (age 13) that does play the violin. His uncle thinks it would be a cool idea for me to make a display case and give it to him as a Christmas presant. I doubt it's worth repairing but my daugher is going to have it made presentable, but I doubt it will ever be played agin. Any reccomendations  on how to mount it and whether to make it removable would be appreciated. Somehow the idea that it would never be touched again by human hands is mildly offensive to me.

I did make a wall hanger for my Son’s guitar.. 
Your thought  of making a display case for your families  fiddle and bow 
would be cool.. 
An assessable wall mounted shadow box.. Velvet lined 
hand made old school look.. The fiddle alone would be
nice enough but with a photo of you father maybe, to add a touch of class..
More to come I bet,, 

Take care - sm
(10-23-2022, 03:03 PM)Tankwood Wrote: I did make a wall hanger for my Son’s guitar.. 
Your thought  of making a display case for your families  fiddle and bow 
would be cool.. 
An assessable wall mounted shadow box.. Velvet lined 
hand made old school look.. The fiddle alone would be
nice enough but with a photo of you father maybe, to add a touch of class..
More to come I bet,, 

Take care - sm
Great idea on the photo. I think I have one with the fiddle!
(10-23-2022, 01:22 PM)Papa Jim Wrote: My son has my father's ancient fiddle and bow, but like me no musical talent at all. But I have a grandson (age 13) that does play the violin. His uncle thinks it would be a cool idea for me to make a display case and give it to him as a Christmas presant. I doubt it's worth repairing but my daugher is going to have it made presentable, but I doubt it will ever be played agin. Any reccomendations  on how to mount it and whether to make it removable would be appreciated. Somehow the idea that it would never be touched again by human hands is mildly offensive to me.

Bunch of ideas here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=violin+d...1057&dpr=1
Could you post a photo of the fiddle and bow..
I made (what I considered) and what the "customer" considered to be a very nice display cabinet for a family violin/fiddle.

Unfortunately, I did not take any photos of it.  Fortunately, she did.

She is supposed to be sending them to me.  I will post them when she does.

Some hints - constructed of "Fiddle Back" Maple, "secure hangers" to prevent falling in case, and a "super special" background inside the case (No, I am not going to tell you . . . but I hope to show you soon.)
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
(10-26-2022, 04:51 PM)Tankwood Wrote: Could you post a photo of the fiddle and bow..

Don't have it yet, but my son is bringing it down Thanksgiving. Will post then. I have started wood selection. I'm think I'll use cherry but use some kind of neutral covering on the inside so the violin doesn't get lost in the wood. I'm also experimenting with some deer antlers as a hanger. My father was  a hunter as is my son, In fact he gave me the antlers. I appreciate all the help and ideas.
I look forward to seeing what you come up..
Cool project

Take care
My son sent me this picture of it for use in starting on the box. It's in pretty rough shape. I didn't think it would ever be playable again but hopefully it can be made presenable.

Attached Files Image(s)

That is very nice,
Ideas flow now,,

Be good to  see your design in sketch form.
If your not intending to use the case lots of thoughts
come to mind for just the bow and fiddle with his photo..

I like the purple liner in the case shown, Purple Heart ?