Show Me Your Slab Bench
Hi Folks,

For once in my life, I successfully flattened a pear wood slab.  Originally, the tree was blown down by Hurricane Ike.  Myself and a friend harvested several of these trees.  Over the years, this particular slab bent along the middle, with a fair amount of warping thrown in for good measure.  I sawed down the middle with a circ saw, jointed each of the two halves, and then glued it back together.  It's very flat and will be ready to go with just a bit of touch up.  The results are shown in the pictures.  

I'd like to make a bench, and would be grateful for advice and suggestions.  

Side A or B?
With a back, or not?
What style?  Can you show a picture of a similar one that you made?

Thanks,
Mark

Side A

Side B

Original slab

Edge View

Mark in Sugar Land, TX
It occurred to me that "bench" is too generic.  I meant a bench to sit on.  

Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
Here's one I did.  Cherry slab with a walnut base (before the finish went on)  I don't have a better picture of it right now.

I used these plans for the base.

https://www.woodsmithplans.com/plan/garden-bench/

(10-25-2022, 06:57 AM)atgcpaul Wrote: Here's one I did.  Cherry slab with a walnut base (before the finish went on)  I don't have a better picture of it right now.

I used these plans for the base.

https://www.woodsmithplans.com/plan/garden-bench/

Thanks.  It helps me a lot to see a finished product.

For example, yours looks much better than the woodcraft picture; their's looks too heavy in the base to my mind.  And, it looks like you took a different approach to fastening the top to the legs?  

Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
(10-25-2022, 04:25 PM)MarkSLSmith Wrote: Thanks.  It helps me a lot to see a finished product.

For example, yours looks much better than the woodcraft picture; their's looks too heavy in the base to my mind.  And, it looks like you took a different approach to fastening the top to the legs?  

Mark

Thanks.

I just used figure 8 fasteners.

There were some cracks in the slab I secured and accented with some bowties.