What finish is on old oak church pews?
My church has some pews that need refinishing.  They are the old, 2" thick style-- I'm betting over 50 years old.

I'll do some testing to see what solvents will dissolve the finish but wondering if anyone here has any experience with such pews.
Confused
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I've got plenty I think they used shellac these are all 100 years old made in Wisconsin if I remember correctly
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

We have one in our dining room, and though I'm not sure of the age I'd guess it to be 50 years +/-. I haven't tested it bit from the feel and durability I'd guess it's just a varnish of some sort. It doesn't have a plastic look so I'd bet it's an alkyd resin type.....but those are just guesses.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-23-2022, 08:52 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: My church has some pews that need refinishing.  They are the old, 2" thick style-- I'm betting over 50 years old.

I'll do some testing to see what solvents will dissolve the finish but wondering if anyone here has any experience with such pews.
Confused

50 years old I'd bet oil based varnish.  100 years old; not sure, shellac makes sense for that time frame but it has poor water resistance.  You would think all of them would be in need of refinishing, long ago, actually, if shellac had been used.  Anyway, if DNA doesn't dissolve it, it's not shellac.  Not much will attack oil based varnish except paint stripper.  

John
If 50 years is old, then I'm ancient!

I rather doubt it's shellac. Shellac has very poor abrasion resistance, and since people are sitting in them and putting their hands on the tops of the seatbacks, shellac would have worn off very quickly. Another common finish used is nitrocelluose lacquer, which has been used for over 100 years. Oil takes a longer time to cure before you want people sitting on it and not smelling the uncured varnish. You can test if it's shellac by taking some denatured alcohol and seeing if it'll rub off the finish.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
About 20 years ago I redid about 15 pews for a church.    My guess they were from around 1950 and the finish was varnish.
No guarantee that's what you have but a possibility.  Good Luck.