LV seconds sale
I got my order yesterday.  I am shocked and profoundly disappointed.  I've gotten a lot of LV "seconds" over the years, and for the first time I can actually find the minor cosmetic defect on one of the tools.  I think.

(Still a happy customer, as always!)
(10-30-2022, 10:09 AM)merced Wrote: I got my order yesterday.  I am shocked and profoundly disappointed.  I've gotten a lot of LV "seconds" over the years, and for the first time I can actually find the minor cosmetic defect on one of the tools.  I think.

No picture, no defect!

The LV seconds I got in the past seemed to be better than some of the brand new, supposedly defect free, tools from some vendors.

Simon
(10-30-2022, 10:09 AM)merced Wrote: I got my order yesterday.  I am shocked and profoundly disappointed.  I've gotten a lot of LV "seconds" over the years, and for the first time I can actually find the minor cosmetic defect on one of the tools.  I think.

i think we all got spoiled a bit with past sales, may be because before supply chain issues, for example, foundries would have accepted returns on such flaws in castings, etc. and the tool would not have been processed; who knows, but if, as advertised, the defect does not affect use, I'm still ok.  I've had a number of old Stanley planes marked "Defect" which they sold as such, generally casting flaws in the soles of bench planes, which were profoundly apparent and in some cases numerous, but honestly didn't  affect use.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

Checked mine over carefully, no idea why LV decided I needed these things at a discount--but I'm not sending them back!
I guess I always have a peculiar perspective on things...but I think it's brilliant on Rob Lee's part, those are all pretty much product that Lee Valley normally wouldn't sell as a new tool as it has some type of scratch or dent, or other that "doesn't effect performance".

The majority were specialty type tools, such as a chisel plane, shoulder planes, low angle, bevel up, router plane, shooting board planes, etc...those are the type of tools that people buy and either have a real use for it that renders it priceless on a daily basis, or they put in a drawer with the other tools for the single time they need it, yet have 6 different solutions to the same problem with some type of specialty tools.

LV makes quality tools at reasonable prices, and known for good quality control. So the 2nds are really just product they accumulate over the year from doing business as usual.

Is 25% enough of a discount to buy something that wasn't a product the vendor would sell as a new tool? For me that answer has turned into no, but I have a number of LV tools and believe they make top quality tools, on par with LN. Craftsmen would have thrilled to get these type of tools 150 years ago. And in that regard I see LN as a company manufacturing high quality traditional designs on steriods, and LV innovates on the actual design to add value. Pick 'yer poison, ain't we blessed to have great choices.
Alan
Geometry was the most critical/useful mathematics class I had, and it didn't even teach me mathematics.