Carbide turning tools
Pool noodles work well on my rake and broom handles
If you have any basic machinist skills you can buy some steel bar stock and the carbide tips and make a turning tool in about 30 minutes. I borrowed some EWTs last summer and compared them to my shop made ones. The EWTs were admittedly prettier but did not cut any better.

(11-07-2022, 01:36 PM)crokett™ Wrote: If you have any basic machinist skills you can buy some steel bar stock and the carbide tips and make a turning tool in about 30 minutes.  I borrowed some EWTs last summer and compared them to my shop made ones.  The EWTs were admittedly prettier but did not cut any better.

Machinist skills and a proper lathe.  Not saying it can't be done with a woodworking lathe, but it's a whole lot easier if you have a metal lathe.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I made 2 without any lathe.
One is round rod and one is square bar.
I used an angle grinder to notch them out for the cutters and then tapped holes for the screws.
I have 8-10 carbide tools in my collection. Made all of them myself. Ordered the carbide online. Saved a lot of money by not buying carbides for that application found different ones. A few have round shafts, bt most are 1/2" steel about a foot long. I ground the end to hold the cutter and tapped the screw hole. Turned a handle out of hardwwod and drilled a hole to insert the meta. Epoxied it in and epoxied on a 3/4" copper pipe conector. A few of the square shafts i installed the cutter on the angle I like to use for inside turning. I only use carbide when I am turning corian or wood wth the bark on. Doing it this way you can have 10 tools for the price of 2.