Motorcraft Johnson Controls
NAPA Exide
Optima Johnson Controls
Orbital Exide
Pep Boys Johnson Controls
Sears Exide or Johnson Controls, depending on model

Wal-Mart Exide or Johnson Controls, depending on model
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

If just 2 companies make all these batteries then one is left to wonder how different the quality is.

I know that coming from same maker doesn’t automatically mean same quality.

I know from personal experience that Walmart has a history of ordering at a price point that forces makers to cut corners to meet demand.
This is why I avoid Walmart for most things.
I still install my own batteries. I can buy the Ford battery from WallyWorld for $50 less than anywhere else(When WW has them in stock).

That is a big enough difference to buy there as I avoid WW whenever possible.
I've been buying Batteries at Walmart more than 20 years. Never had an issue. I've got 2 Interstate Marine batteries from Walmart in the boat that I've been using at least 10 years. They've doubled in price since then. They sell EverStart (house brand) batteries now. They're in 2 of our cars. No issues.

Long time ago when I was buying big UPS systems, the engineer I worked with said it didn't matter which batteries we bought, they're are all the same inside. Lead, electrolyte/water and acid. We were buying hundreds every year. Yuasa was a big player in the UPS battery market and they just sort of disappeared. Japanese company. They made a lot of car batteries in the 80's branded with all sorts of different names. Looked just like all the other ones. Now I just see smaller Yuasa batteries for jet skis, motorcycles and small stuff like that.

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Another post that men from a generation ago would not understand.
WoodNET... the new safespace
While it may not apply to lead acid batteries there is a definite Walmart effect on many things.

Generally in the past there were different quality levels that also were at different price points.

Now it seems that once Walmart enters a market, they order and sell at a lower price point than has been available before, once they do that the perceived value of an item drops and the higher priced/quality items disappear from the market.
The name stays in some cases but it’s left attached to a basement level quality like you’d expect to find at Walmart.
(11-03-2022, 08:10 PM)JDuke Wrote: While it may not apply to lead acid batteries there is a definite Walmart effect on many things.

Generally in the past there were different quality levels that also were at different price points.

Now it seems that once Walmart enters a market, they order and sell at a lower price point than has been available before, once they do that the perceived value of an item drops and the higher priced/quality items disappear from the market.
The name stays in some cases but it’s left attached to a basement level quality like you’d expect to find at Walmart.

They have competition now

... Kizar Sosay

From whom does Walmart have competition?
(11-04-2022, 08:57 AM)JDuke Wrote: From whom does Walmart have competition?

Amazon for one.

... Kizar Sosay

I sent an email on the second to complain and ask how could I purchase an installed battery? They sent me the corporate "sorry letter", and said the store manager would be in contact with me. Still waiting for that contact.