Locktite PL Clamp Time
I bought a cheap template for the stair treads (retreads), using a similar method. It has worked well. The riser covers are 1/4 MDF that has been painted, so I can just use caulking to touch those up. The original treads and risers are oak, so plenty solid once I reinforced everything.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(11-13-2022, 07:53 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: I bought a cheap template for the stair treads (retreads), using a similar method. It has worked well. The riser covers are 1/4 MDF that has been painted, so I can just use caulking to touch those up.  The original treads and risers are oak, so plenty solid once I reinforced everything.

yep, got one of those too for the treads.  then, modified the end pieces on it to get the same setup for the risers.

we had the same setup as snipe with the treads dadoed into the stringers (no center).  risers all had to go, as they were just nailed in from the back and mostly coming off.  i ripped all those down to about 1" tall strips (3/4" thick), and used those to support the risers after the treads were installed.

treads were long enough to mount those pieces i cut onto the back of the top of the tread, then on the front of the bottom of the tread above.  this gave me something to attach the risers too, and worked out great.  no access from the back, so this is what i came up with.  
Yes

certainly an interesting project depending on your stair setup!
"certainly an interesting project depending on your stair setup!"

Not my favorite project by any means. It is turning out pretty well. I have one last tread to install, and then I'll work on the railing.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(11-17-2022, 12:14 AM)lincmercguy Wrote: "certainly an interesting project depending on your stair setup!"

Not my favorite project by any means. It is turning out pretty well. I have one last tread to install, and then I'll work on the railing.

yeah, it didn't really top my list of favorites either, but . . . glad it's done!  
Yes