Phone app for tensioning bandsaw blade!?
Has anyone tried this: Inkleind Bandsaw Tensioning app?  It seems very simple, I wonder if it works well.  -Howard
(11-06-2022, 09:50 AM)Howard Pollack Wrote: Has anyone tried this: Inkleind Bandsaw Tensioning app?  It seems very simple, I wonder if it works well.  -Howard

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see where the app allowed you to set the desired tension.  

John
Another blade tension measurement device for 1/4" to 3/4" blades:

https://www.eztension.com/buy-one-now/ez...sion-gauge
Pretty new to band saw set up but after reading the Laguna owners manual & using there advice where they say push on the blade so moves aprx. 1/4" with moderate pressure, that method seemed to work well on my new saw.From Laguna's (very vague) instructions it appears they don't think blade tension is all that exacting. What am I missing, do you really need to be that exact on the tension ?
Thanks
I tried the InKleind app, and was a bit disappointed at the limited types of blades it worked on.  This is because he fit the measured data on a couple of blade types so it'd be more reliable, but only with those blades.  Sorry I can't be more specific because I don't have that kind of phone any more.

A broader approach to the same general idea is Phil Thien's Audible Tension Gauge that he's had posted since 2009: https://www.jpthien.com/tg.htm .  Because he calculates frequency based on physical properties there is more input, but it should work for any blade type.  You might want to use a tuning app with this one.
(11-06-2022, 09:26 PM)2link2 Wrote:  What am I missing, do you really need to be that exact on the tension ?
Thanks

My experience is no you do not have to be that exact. Especially on 1/4" and above blades. I always fall on the over tension rather than the under tension side. I always tension my blades then crank them some more. I have only broke a couple of blades over the years and would guess a poor weld or metal fatigue was the most likely culprit. Others experience may vary. My experience is with a 14" Delta cast iron saw that really is close to maxed out to tension a 1/2" blade.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(11-06-2022, 09:26 PM)2link2 Wrote: Pretty new to band saw set up but after reading the Laguna owners manual & using there advice where they say push on the blade so moves aprx. 1/4" with moderate pressure, that method seemed to work well on my new saw.From Laguna's (very vague) instructions it appears they don't think blade tension is all that exacting. What am I missing, do you really need to be that exact on the tension ?
Thanks

Exact?  No.  Close?  Yes.  And Laguna's approach is of no help.  What I think is moderate pressure you might think is way too little or way too much.  

Measuring tension on a blade isn't hard.  Building a meter to do so isn't hard.  Why wouldn't you?  Once you've done so and correlated the onboard tension indicator with measured values you won't need to use the meter anymore for that type of blade.  

John