Black Palm Finish
I am making some wood carving knives and found some black palm for handles. A few searches on finish is confusing. Wood web says to use a sanding sealer to seal the grain, others say shellac. I have had no luck using this Minwax Helmsman Indoor/Outdoor Spar Urethane

I applied using foam brushes and sanding between coats,but the finish was still rough. Should I thin this varnish to seal the grain.
What about shellac, I have never used before. My other knife handles are cherry and walnut and the Watco finish was acceptable.

Thanks for any help.
Mike
(11-09-2022, 10:07 AM)maswindell Wrote: I am making some wood carving knives and found some black palm for handles. A few searches on finish is confusing. Wood web says to use a sanding sealer to seal the grain, others say shellac. I have had no luck using this Minwax Helmsman Indoor/Outdoor Spar Urethane

I applied using foam brushes and sanding between coats,but the finish was still rough. Should I thin this varnish to seal the grain.
What about shellac, I have never used before. My other knife handles are cherry and walnut and the Watco finish was acceptable.

Thanks for any help.
Mike

I would stick with Watco or maybe Antique Oil, something that soaks in, not a surface film.  Those will give protection and feel better in your hand than one that's coated with finish.  If you want to use varnish thin what you have with mineral spirits to make a wiping varnish out of it and apply sparingly, 3 or 4 coats.  

John
What John said. Many here like Tried and True wipe on oil as well.