Makita Hammer Drill XPH12 18V
Recently used the hammer drill function for the first time. Now it acts as a hammer drill regardless of the setting and the selector is very difficult to rotate.  It was not new, but looked excellent when I bought it.

Anyone have a magic phrase or spell I can use to fix the drill?
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(11-11-2022, 05:28 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: Recently used the hammer drill function for the first time. Now it acts as a hammer drill regardless of the setting and the selector is very difficult to rotate.  It was not new, but looked excellent when I bought it.

Anyone have a magic phrase or spell I can use to fix the drill?

Try running it in reverse while moving the selector. 

Try drilling into wood while turning the selector ring.
Update:
Needed to us the hammer drill function to drill two holes in ceramic tile.  The drill was actually set for regular drilling.  Two holes drilled, no problem.

Decided to use a little WD40 on the selector ring.  After several changes and more WD40, drill almost functions like new.
(11-18-2022, 08:41 AM)Bill Holt Wrote: Update:
Needed to us the hammer drill function to drill two holes in ceramic tile.  The drill was actually set for regular drilling.  Two holes drilled, no problem.

Decided to use a little WD40 on the selector ring.  After several changes and more WD40, drill almost functions like new.

Great news.  

Now you should get a dry lubricating spray with Teflon or similar and repeat the process to keep gearing free.  WD40 is good at freeing stuck parts but it IS NOT a lubricant
No
WD40 is good at freeing stuck parts but it IS NOT a lubricant.

Good point.
I had the exact same issue with a Milwaukee hammer drill. I did the exact same thing, WD 40 to free it up, dry lubricant to keep it fee.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry