Help designing this table?
(Update)

Customer has decided she wants two tables, one a regular rectangle and a smaller square one to match.

I'm sure I'll run into this again, so these tips will help. Thanks!

(Update)

M&T legs and apron.  Legs will be purchased. 

My first thoughts are a rectangle frame for the large section and a smaller rectangle for the L.  My concern is the top itself.  Should it be glued up as one piece--two sections glued into an L? 90* between the two sections? If so, how?

Top will be attached to the base with figure-8 clips. 

This is a commission that's coming soon.  Any help in design would be appreciated. 

How would you do it?

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

Just thinking out loud.

The customer probably does not want an end-grain edge for the return. If that is the case, then the question becomes how to bring the 2 runs together.

1) the main table is rectangular and the return butts up against it at right angles (basically, 2 rectangles), or

2) both the main section and the return have a 45* end for the junction

choice 2 is harder to pull off, but seems like it would be aesthetically more pleasing.

Will the customer want to be able to move it from room to room after it is assembled?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Two rectangles is smarter:
1.  If two pieces join at a 45, a leg might be needed on the inside.
2.  I have had the occasion where the return needed to be moved to the other end of the desk.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Make it as two pieces screwed or bolted together underneath. It could be done in such a way as to allow the "L" to on either end of the large table. Making it all in one piece would make moving (including delivery) very difficult.
It's now moot.  She wants two tables--a regular rectangle and a smaller square that can be moved around independently. 

Thanks for the tips!  I'll probably need them at some point.
Semper fi,
Brad

I would make sure the customer has considered Bill Holt's comment about the legs.  If it is two separate units there will be a leg on that inside corner which could be annoying.
(12-01-2022, 12:16 PM)BrentDH Wrote: I would make sure the customer has considered Bill Holt's comment about the legs.  If it is two separate units there will be a leg on that inside corner which could be annoying.

You could make the one leg removable to deal with that.  

Dear Lord, those legs are ugly.  

John
(12-01-2022, 06:15 PM)jteneyck Wrote: You could make the one leg removable to deal with that.  

John

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

Yeah, they're not my cup of tea either, but money talks!
Semper fi,
Brad

Not only are the legs fugly, I am sure the residence housekeeper will just enjoy keeping the dust off.
(12-01-2022, 06:15 PM)jteneyck Wrote: You could make the one leg removable to deal with that.  

John

Glad it is not just me with that thought...