Powermatic Planer Table Rollers
In January 2022 I purchased a lightly used Powermatic Model 15 planer.  Straight knives, very good condition.

This model has table rollers as pictured below.  The owner's manual says these rollers are to reduce friction of stock moving across the table during planing operation.  

According to the manual, the top edge of the rollers should be between .005" and .015" inches above the surface of the table, and they need to be parallel side-to-side and the same level front to back.  The one issue I'm having with the unit is the need to keep the table rollers properly adjusted.  It seems like I'm always having to check that alignment and fuss with it.  I tighten the set screws as required and yet the rollers still gradually move out of adjustment.

As I was adjusting the rollers again today, I wondered why I really need those rollers to begin with.  It seems to me that those rollers may introduce other issues.  Since the rollers are directly under the feed rollers, when the workpiece is supported by just one roller, then the chances of significant snipe are increased.  If the rollers come out of adjustment while in use, the workpiece could be impacted while being planed.

I see that other planers in this class also have the table rollers.

I think I'm going to experiment with dropping these rollers below table level.  I'll ease the edges of the slots on those rollers to ensure there are no burrs that can catch the workpiece and leave marks.

Have any of you done the same with your planer?  Is there something I'm not thinking about that make this a bad idea?
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Seems to me it would cost the manufacturer to put them there to begin with... so they must have a good reason for doing it.   Don't suppose it would hurt to lower them and see what happens, though.
(12-02-2022, 05:14 PM)KC Wrote: Seems to me it would cost the manufacturer to put them there to begin with... so they must have a good reason for doing it.   Don't suppose it would hurt to lower them and see what happens, though.

That's what I thought, too.  Went out on the Grizzly site and saw their equivalent machine with the same roller setup.

The owner's manual also stated that the rollers should be adjusted depending on the roughness of the workpiece.  I can't imagine making those adjustments for each planing session.  Taken to the literal instruction, one could start a session and then readjust the rollers as the workpiece transitions from rough-sawn to surfaced.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
(12-02-2022, 07:41 PM)R Clark Wrote: That's what I thought, too.  Went out on the Grizzly site and saw their equivalent machine with the same roller setup.

The owner's manual also stated that the rollers should be adjusted depending on the roughness of the workpiece.  I can't imagine making those adjustments for each planing session.  Taken to the literal instruction, one could start a session and then readjust the rollers as the workpiece transitions from rough-sawn to surfaced.

It's been almost 20 years ago now, but I ran a LOT of mesquite through a 20" Grizzly planer over the course of three years.  I don't recall that we ever touched the rollers.   Did usually joint one face pretty flat before the planer, tho.
Yesterday I followed through and dropped the rollers below table level.  I ran a thick slab of walnut through and everything went just fine.  If I keep the table waxed, I think this will work and be a lot more convenient than endless fussing with those rollers.

Dropping the rollers also helped with alignment of the infeed and outfeed rollers.  Fortunately, I have a 4 foot level that has a magnet on one side.  I was able to put that against the table and work the infeed/outfeed rollers into position while the magnets held the level solid to the table.  Still just a bit fussy, but not too bad.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Ray, I've had my Delta planer fir 20 years, and have never used those rollers. It's always had a piece of Melamine put through it to make the bed just a little longer (the Melamine piece is 6' long) and I've never had a problem. With Melamine I keep the surface waxed to allow smooth feeding. The picture below is more about the Wixey, but you can see the Melamine going through the plane. That piece has since wore out and I replaced it with plywood laminated in countertop HPL...still works just as well.

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks, Fred.  Your picture is a reminder that I can easily eliminate the need to adjust infeed and outfeed rollers, too.  An added benefit to doing that would be to decrease the footprint when I have the planer stowed.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
I have the rollers on my Delta 15" set level with the table or just slightly below. Been that way going on 5 years without issue whether running rough lumber or finish planing. I do keep the table waxed.

Gary
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I have had the same setup on my Makita for the last 42 years.

I don't worry about it that much . . . and if I get really bored in the shop I might check their adjustment - otherwise I just push the boards into the machine.
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
The rollers are for rough planing of wood that is OK with snipe. The Powermatic rollers are great for making barn boards or something like that.

I keep the rollers down. I also keep a chunk of paraffin on top of the planer. I just make a few swipes with the wax if wood starts to stick. The wax gets smooshed into the middle of the bed, no need to stop planing to wax the infeed.