Watco Danish oil
I am making a baton box for my daughter. She is in music school and is taking a directing class. My go to finish on past projects have been WB poly finishes. This is going in her backpack and could get some abuse. if the poly gets damaged it will be harder to fix. I like the look and feel of Watco Danish Oil but I worry on how protective it is as a finish. It would be easy to repair but will it stand up to abuse and always needing to be repaired? Wondering if lacquer might be a compromise. I am going to laser engrave her name and paint the engraving so that needs to be protected also.
(12-06-2022, 07:43 AM)CEPenworks Wrote: I am making a baton box for my daughter. She is in music school and is taking a directing class. My go to finish on past projects have been WB poly finishes. This is going in her backpack and could get some abuse. if the poly gets damaged it will be harder to fix. I like the look and feel of Watco Danish Oil but I worry on how protective it is as a finish. It would be easy to repair but will it stand up to abuse and always needing to be repaired? Wondering if lacquer might be a compromise. I am going to laser engrave her name and paint the engraving so that needs to be protected also.

I would use Osmo Oil if you want a satin to gloss sheen, Rubio Monocoat if you are OK with a matte/flat no sheen look.  Rubio is very, very durable, and stupid simple to repair.  Osmo also is very durable, though not as good as RM, IMO, and not quite as easy to repair but still far easier than any of the others except Danish Oil.  Danish Oil is not nearly as durable as Osmo or RM, but is, as you said, very easy to repair.  

Lacquer would be my last choice in your group.  It won't stand up to liquids and is as easy to chip as WB poly.  

I've done some cutting boards as gifts that have engraving in them, cut on my CNC.  The easiest way to protect the areas you don't want to paint is to seal the wood first with shellac or WB poly, do the engraving, brush paint into the engraving, and then sand the whole thing just enough to remove the shellac and any paint that went over the edges of the engravings.  Then apply your finish.  India Ink works great if you want the engraving black, and Danish Oil works great over the board and won't dissolve the India Ink.  I'm quite sure it would work fine with any of the other finish, too, with the possible exception of lacquer.  

John
How do either of these do over shellac or dainish oil? The practice one I have been making out of cherry and the final one will be out of walnut with maple accents. I already know how to get the color I want but that will take shellac or dainish oil. I know osmo and rubio have colors but I am not looking to experiment with their colors to simulate what I already know I can get.
(12-06-2022, 12:57 PM)CEPenworks Wrote: How do either of these do over shellac or dainish oil? The practice one I have been making out of cherry and the final one will be out of walnut with maple accents. I already know how to get the color I want but that will take shellac or dainish oil. I know osmo and rubio have colors but I am not looking to experiment with their colors to simulate what I already know I can get.

You can use either over water borne dye, but nothing that seals the grain, like shellac or Danish Oil, or any stain that has a binder in it.  Osmo and Rubio work by bonding with wood fibers.  If they can't get to the wood fibers, they won't work.  

John
I'd go Watco & after a year or so of use the box will develop some "patina" which in the music world can be seen as a good thing !
I just used Osmo for the 1st time & got fantastic results I'll keep using it. I wanted Rubio but the availability of Rubio in my area was nill (online only) The only downside I see with Osmo/Rubio is cost.
If you like the look & feel of Watco than your really going to like Osmo.
I cant imagine a box that will be in & out of backback not needing some TLC at some point (if it was my daughter it would be a few weeks at most, could be 1st day !) I'd stick with Watco, Osmo or Rubio & just plan on some touch up down the road all them will repair easily.
Another thought from a Father of daughters, sounds like your making an heirloom piece so why not double down on protection & use something like a padded pouch. You can get these with draw strings or zippers finding right size could be difficult but I think it would be worth the effort. Probably get a custom one made (etsy) for very little money.
https://www.amazon.com/Large-Velour-Draw...79350&th=1
I found some Waterlox laying around that had not gelled yet. I wiped that on the boxes and rubbed it out to a satin finish. They ended up looking very nice. I am going to make some fleece sleeves for them for a little protection in the bookbag.