Has anyone built their own low profile airtight dust bin?
Question 
Has anyone built their own low-profile airtight dust bin?

How difficult was it to achieve air-tightness?

Thanks,

Dave
I made a plywood box with a drawer for the dust.  The only trick was sealing the drawer into the box, which was done with an overlay front, foam weatherstripping, and a couple of bungee cords mounted to hold the drawer tightly shut.  It works well but has limited capacity necessitated by low ceilings and limited space.

I had intended to have an inexpensive grain auger in a 4" PVC pipe directing sawdust sideways into a larger container.  It would have worked if I only collected dust, but planer and possibly jointer shavings clogged the auger, so I just empty the bin frequently.
(12-07-2022, 08:46 AM)davco Wrote: Has anyone built their own low-profile airtight dust bin?

How difficult was it to achieve air-tightness?

I have not done this.  If I were to do it, first I would use MDF or plywood, not OSB because OSB is not air tight.  For the joints I would probably use ZIP Flashing Tape, but maybe caulk.

Mark
If you are referring to a bin for a cyclone I am using something fairly low.  I repurposed a plastic storage container and added some OSB on the top to stiffen it up and mount an 8" flange for the discharge hose from the cyclone.  Since the ceiling in my shop is so low, I had to do something to hold the chips.  It works OK, but can clog up fairly quickly since the chips can end up piling up right underneath the flange, even though the whole box is not full.  Its also tucked in a corner with tight access (like most of my shop) but its the best solution I can have at this point.  The suction from the cyclone tends to seal up any leaks but these boxes are fairly tight to begin with.

Attached Files Image(s)

Truly sealed or just air tight? Knowing how it is to be used is important. If vacuum sealed you’ll have to spray an exterior coating to seal pores. If just sealed decently, then mdf OR baltic birch dependent on weight concerns with caulked seams. That’s how sealed concert speakers are made (baltic birch, handles on the side)

Mike
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem
I use plastic 55 gallon barrels. you can cut them or smaller ones to any height you need.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop