sorby live center stiffness
hey all . . . just got a sorby 1/2" live stebcenter, and it feels pretty darn stiff to me.

compared it to other live centers i've got, and it definitely doesn't rotate as easily.

been a little chilly in the garage (in the 40s), so i brought it inside (about 70 in basement), but it didn't turn any easier.

question is, about how easily should this turn??

if i hold the taper and try and spin the end by hand, it just stops as soon as my fingers are off.

when i'm using it, i can sorta hear the stiffness of it, if that makes any sense.

thanks for any help / info!  
Yes
yeah, this is getting returned. when i turn it by hand very slowly, it's just not smooth. it does feel almost like something's catching just a little -- maybe a bad ball bearing. hope the next one will be OK, cause i love the size!
(12-12-2022, 02:44 PM)arthropod98 Wrote: yeah, this is getting returned.  when i turn it by hand very slowly, it's just not smooth.  it does feel almost like something's catching just a little  --  maybe a bad ball bearing.  hope the next one will be OK, cause i love the size!

That is the right choice. It should turn smoothly and freely.

It has been long enough that I do not remember if mine that size is the Sorby or the Windriver version. I have been generally happy with both brands of Steb centers (both live and drive).
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(12-12-2022, 05:20 PM)iclark Wrote: That is the right choice. It should turn smoothly and freely.

It has been long enough that I do not remember if mine that size is the Sorby or the Windriver version. I have been generally happy with both brands of Steb centers (both live and drive).

yeah, it was more just wishful thinking cause i was using it, and the size is great.  bought through amazon, so return is easy  --  new one will be here tomorrow!  
Big Grin

the other one i've got is 7/8"  --  some no-name brand, but it works great.
FWIW: if this is a ball bearing device (which I believe it is) then a new ball bearing that comes with grease from the factory should not spin like a top: if it does then something is wrong. A new pre-greased bearing will show some resistance: its the grease that produces this resistance.
(12-13-2022, 05:29 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: FWIW: if this is a ball bearing device (which I believe it is) then a new ball bearing that comes with grease from the factory should not spin like a top: if it does then something is wrong. A new pre-greased bearing will show some resistance: its the grease that produces this resistance.

Yeah, the viscosity of the lube will slow it quickly on some, but it should still be smooth when turning it by hand. There can also be some drag from the race shield.

Bottom line, though, is that a small live center should turn easily even if it spins down quickly.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

(12-13-2022, 05:29 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: FWIW: if this is a ball bearing device (which I believe it is) then a new ball bearing that comes with grease from the factory should not spin like a top: if it does then something is wrong. A new pre-greased bearing will show some resistance: its the grease that produces this resistance.

yeah, this was my thinking initially  --  thought just some use would clear things up.  nope!  also, after just slowly spinning by hand, something's just not right.  oh well, returning this one and should be getting the replacement today.  
Big Grin

^^^^^  That is what I was thinking especially if it is cold
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(12-21-2022, 12:51 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: ^^^^^  That is what I was thinking especially if it is cold

it was definitely something internal  --  got the new one, and no issues at all.  
Yes
(12-21-2022, 06:48 AM)arthropod98 Wrote: it was definitely something internal  --  got the new one, and no issues at all.  
Yes

thanks for the update. That is very good to know.