Custom Closet System Directly on top of Carpet??
I did a home made unit for our bedroom about 20 years ago. Our baseboards are 3/4" oak, so I made the bases angled and set them on the baseboard and fastened the uprights to the wall in multiple places. I thought it made for a cleaner unit. Your milage may vary! You may not have an option to hang them from the walls.
(12-19-2022, 06:29 PM)Don_M Wrote: Its worse than that!

The main bedroom is on the second floor and can only be accessed by a spiral staircase (the “curved” section in the plan is the backside of the staircase). So very difficult to haul assembled cabinets up to the bedroom.  I can barely get a 6’ ladder up the darn stairs w/o banging up the walls. I plan to fabricate and pre-finish the individual components in my shop and then complete the final assembly upstairs (already informed wife one of the upstairs bedrooms is now the assembly area).

The curved section actually consists of 40 individual shoe “cubbies” – We call it the “Wall-O-Shoes!

Wow, that's impressive. Maybe you can get a Lamello Zeta P2 out of his project. haha.
That would make assembly a lot easier.
Any chance you could hoist stuff up from outside?  I shudder at the thought of bringing all of that up a curved staircase.  Good luck to you.
(12-19-2022, 06:29 PM)Don_M Wrote: Its worse than that!

The main bedroom is on the second floor and can only be accessed by a spiral staircase (the “curved” section in the plan is the backside of the staircase). So very difficult to haul assembled cabinets up to the bedroom.  I can barely get a 6’ ladder up the darn stairs w/o banging up the walls. I plan to fabricate and pre-finish the individual components in my shop and then complete the final assembly upstairs (already informed wife one of the upstairs bedrooms is now the assembly area).

The curved section actually consists of 40 individual shoe “cubbies” – We call it the “Wall-O-Shoes!

This is what I did with mine. My stairs have a 90 turn halfway up which makes hauling large items difficult. I finished everything in the garage and final assembled the cabinets in the bedroom.

We have the "Wall O Shoes" cubbies as well.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
In the context of building a large built-in custom closet system, it is generally recommended and common practice to remove the carpet before installation. Placing cabinets directly on the sub-floor provides a more stable and level foundation for the closet system. This ensures that the cabinets fit securely and evenly, minimizing the risk of tilting or instability.
I can't argue with removing the carpet down to bare wood, but for smaller projects it's really not necessary if you take a hybrid approach.  I set a ladder base for the cabinet directly on the carpet.  Then I take a marking pen and mark its inside outline on the carpet.  I remove the base and cut out patches of the carpet where I want to install plywood L-shaped screw blocks.  When I have them cut out, I put the base back in place, level it, and then glue and screw the blocks to the inside of the base and floor.  I screw the base tight to the back wall, too.  The cabinet you put on top is supported directly by the floor - without having to remove the cabinet.  The advantage of this approach is not having to worry about how to deal with the cut edge of the carpet that's on the outside of the cabinet.  The molding that I install on the outside of the base sits tight to the carpet for a nice, clean look, with no worry of the carpet getting pulled out.  

John