Custom Closet System Directly on top of Carpet??
I don’t post a lot on the Home Improvement forum – but I am planning a large built-in custom closet system in our main bedroom. Question: Do those who do a lot of this type of work typically remove the carpet prior to installation (i.e., cabinets placed directly on the sub-floor)  – or do you place the cabinets directly on the carpet?
I put mine directly on the carpet.
(12-12-2022, 08:59 AM)Don_M Wrote: I don’t post a lot on the Home Improvement forum – but I am planning a large built-in custom closet system in our main bedroom. Question: Do those who do a lot of this type of work typically remove the carpet prior to installation (i.e., cabinets placed directly on the sub-floor)  – or do you place the cabinets directly on the carpet?

I would remove the carpet and pad under the built in cabinets as the carpet and pad will deteriorate over time and drop the cabinet a little lower.   Roly
For myself, I concluded removing the carpet added a lot of complexity/expense for no benefit. Plus what do you do if the closet system is open at the open?

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
(12-12-2022, 10:31 AM)paul2004 Wrote: I put mine directly on the carpet.

I did as well... but everything was screwed to the wall.  Roly's comment might be something to think about if you're just sitting it on top.
Interesting question. I have been installing custom closet systems for about 25 years. From an installers point of view, carpet is the worst. As Roly said, the units sink into the carpet over time. Our units are "knockdown" so to speak and are assembled on site. Carpet makes the install a lot tougher than it needs to be.

Over the years, customers have asked about removing the carpet underneath to either recarpet (not a good idea) or replace with some other flooring. The jobs never turn out well. In my opinion, remove carpet and padding down to subfloor. Install the custom system and apply a modified base molding. It's a whole lot easier to installm flooring of any kind up to the modified base molding.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Are you going to want to re-install everything when the carpet, pad , or both compress , deteriorate ect.... and your shelves become out of level ?  
Confused

Are you going to want to uninstall everything when it comes time to replace the carpet ?
Confused

No professional installer I know would ever entertain installing mill work on top of carpet.   
No   If he does  - you should really question the caliber of talent you've just engaged.
We just had carpet installed in our bedroom last week, and I'm glad they cut the old caret to fit around the closet work. Had they not did that the new installation would have been a royal PITA requiting me to either 1) skip doing the closets, or 2) removing all the woodwork so the old carpet could be removed. Do it now, or do it later....your choice.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
i'd remove the carpet and padding.  
Yes

if ya ever replace the carpet and see the old stuff sitting under your nice built-ins, i think you'll hate it . . . well, at least i would!  
Laugh
I would either take the carpet out or have the cabinetry floating off the floor and attached to the walls. Personally, I chose that method.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.