Hand tool box Project?
Have a Pine plank...maybe use just hand tools to build a box....using only the plank?    Plank is 1/2" x 6" x 6'......need a front and a back, 2 ends, and a top and bottom panel.

Waiting on the camera to charge up...then haul the plank to the shop.   I MIGHT use the bandsaw for ONE task....otherwise, it will be all hand tools..

Might be a way to pass the time?
Winkgrin

Cross cuts on a Mitre box?   Through Dovetails at the corners  use the Stanley 45 to plough a few grooves, including to split off the lid with a dust seal?   We'll see..

stay tuned..
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Cross cuts..

On the Stanley No. 358.....there were "issues"...

Besides the twist going on....there was the Pith running right down the center line....figured I could at least remove the Pith....too much Cardio to use the D8 Rip saw, so...

Set the rip fence to take out the Pith....then I needed a Jointer..

Plane...to prep the just sawn edges for a spot of glue..and a couple clamps

Bench vise to help out as a 3rd hand...and as a caul...

While I get a caul on the other end....

Plan now is to let these sit overnight..

Tomorrow, I can clean them up, flatten them down...and start on the 1/2" through Dovetails for the corners....

Stay tuned...
I'll be watching your updates, looking forward to them.

Question for you: How smoothly does your miter saw move through your 358's uprights? I ask because I've got a similar setup (#2 box I recently refurbed, with a Disston miter saw) and no matter how I fiddle with the angles of the uprights, it feels like they are dragging more on the saw than does any wood I'm cutting. BTW in case it matters, there's only one set screw in my setup for the bar joining the tops of the uprights--I'm in search of a second, but don't have it yet.
Usually a drop or 2 of 3in1 oil in the guides.   Most of the later models had bearings inside of the guides for the saw's spine to roll on...
Boards are out of the clamps..

Need to be flattened..

Plane is a Van Camp No. 4, that I got through a Secret Santa Plane swap...this is right out of the shipping box, BTW...

Then made sure they were all the same width..

Same plane.   Set most of this aside..dig through the pile on the bench..

To find the lay out tools I needed..

And lay out the pins, first...

Then a bit of saw work..

Then chop out the waste...use the pins to lay out the tails ( just trace around the pins with a SHARP pencil)   bandsaw ( new blade!) to make the cuts ( I can SEE better)

Chop out the waste with the chisels...and see about a dry fit...

About 3 hours to get this far.    Most of which was getting the parts flat and square...one corner done, 3 to go.....area between the shoulder blades was getting too sore to do any more..today.....there is always tomorrow, eh?

Stay tuned..
No shoptime yesterday...had a road trip to do....Old Cable Box was taken back to the store in Lima, OH.  38 miles away.   While there to exchange for a new box that WORKS, also stopped at a packed Hobby Lobby store.   Then a Fish Place for supper.   Long drive both ways....trying NOT to get hit by other idiots on the roadways....

New box is now working, and the Boss is happy.   Hobby Lobby supplied me with more hinges, and some handles.   Was just too tired to try working in a shop filled with a lot of SHARP objects....will try this afternoon....

Stay tuned...
Got 2 more corners done....

Leaves one more to do...Tools?

A Plywood slab to do the chopping on...

6mm chisel to set the spaces...

Knife and a square to deepen the lines left by the marking gauge..

A Jackson Backsaw to do some of the saw work..

and a bandsaw to make the cuts for the tails...

To lay out the tails?

Just trace around the pins...I cut trying to leave the lines...so that when the waste is chopped out...

I get a nice tight joint....

Stay tuned...
Never heard of the Van Camp line of planes..  How do you like it?
The No.4 is a HEAVY plane....About like a Stanley No. 4H.    Haven't tried the block plane out..yet.    Van Camp was Indiana's Answer to Blue Grass Tools.  Before they started selling beans.

Like any plane I have....they do work a LOT better when sharp.   And well set up.    This one just MIGHT be a keeper.
Ha, so it is the same people that sell the beans?  I was wondering about that.  That must have been quite the factory overhaul to go from casting iron for planes to cooking beans. I guess they could have made their own pots though.