Hand tool box Project?
looking good!

I noticed you cut your pins first. 

I've not done a huge number of dovetails, but this past few months I did a TON of them building a whole kitchen full of drawers. Most all I did tails first, it seems so intuitive.. I tried a couple doing pins first, just to see, and it was like trying to write left handed, just feels so foreign and weird and wrong (though I know it's just a matter of preference I guess.)
Have tried tails first a few times....and there were a couple that I HAD to go with tails first.     I just seem to get tighter joints when I go with the pins first.

Getting ready to head to the shop....camera loaded up....will post later..
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Up-date:  all 4 corners are now done...

Time to get "Groovy"

Edge with grooves...short rods in the Stanley 45....it is when the dust seal groove needed to be ploughed..

That the longer rods were needed...shorter ones couldn't reach that far....

Yes, they are screwed down to the bench.....this IS a WORK bench, NOT a dinning room table...
Each of the four sides gets 3 grooves...

There will be a 4th groove, later.....it goes around the outside of the box...off-set a bit...to form the dust seal...will have to wait until after a glue up is done, and cleaned up..

Since the grooves are done..I could then cut the panels to exact size....to form a lid and a bottom for the box.   Needed to mill a rebate all around....to fit into the grooves..

Was getting a bit fussy.    Plus, all that groovy work had made a mess on my shop's floor...

Kind of "Krunchy", too....

So, this morning..I went to the shop, fine tuned the panels..and then the glue bottle, the glue brush, and a few clamps..

Panels just float along...

Letting this mess sit overnight...tomorrow, I can remove the clamps, clean things up..reset the Stanley #45 to plough the outside grooves....and see how things go from there....

Stay tuned ..( BTW...there is still a 1/2" x 5-1/2" x12" scrap still in the shop....)
Bandit

I have always respected how you get hand tools working for you.  Well done.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Sometimes...things just don't go as planned...box came out of the clamps..

needing cleaned up..

I thought I laid this out correctly...

Got to ploughing the outside grooves...

Something did NOT look quite right...but now it was too late to stop...so

Turns out this groove should have been a lot lower? Separate the two parts..plane off what little dust seal there was left...and try to level for a gap free fit..

Then add some hinges..

And a latch..

Plug the remaining square holes..

What holes?

And add the handles on the ends....

Stay tuned..
So...update?
Coat of Witch's Brew....and a Branding Iron..

A view from the hinge side?

And from the handled end..

Branding Iron?

And this IS the case it came in..BTW

Took 25 minutes to get this much Brass hot enough....first try wasn't that great...

I guess 15 minutes wasn't quite long enough....

Have not added a top coat, yet....nor have I added any finish to the inside....takes forever to get the smell out..

Stay tuned...

Stanley No. 51....should be plenty of room in there?
Is the branding iron a new addition to your shop? I don't recall seeing it before.
Been in use off and on for about  a year now....mainly on stuff for the shop....still learning how to use the thing..
Another treasure from the Dungeon Workshop. Nice home for the "51". Now get some R&R before Projects for 2023 begin. Gonna' be hard to top 2022.
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
(12-27-2022, 10:47 PM)Grandpa Dave Wrote: Another treasure from the Dungeon Workshop. Nice home for the "51". Now get some R&R before Projects for 2023 begin. Gonna' be hard to top 2022.

^^^^^ what he said
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.