8” Slow speed grinder?
(12-23-2022, 11:33 AM)ajkoontz Wrote: ...

Based on comments here and some more reasearch, I'm now leaning toward the Rikon 1HP. This is probably more than I'll ever need so this could be my forever grinder. Looks like woodturnerswonder has good pricing and I can save a little if I buy a CBN wheel. So.......

What's the concensus on what CBN wheel to buy???
I'm thinking get a coarse wheel (maybe 80 grit?) with the ginder, and put a white wheel on the other side for now. Later, add a fine grit CBN wheel. Am I thinking correctly here or should I start with a fine CBN wheel (or something else)????

I use 180 grit for 90% of the time, which is maintenance of bench chisels and plane blades, and a 80 grit for any significant grinding, such as renovating old steels or changing the bevel angle (I free hand hone on the hollow).

You would want finer grits for turning chisels. 

The reason I chose 180 grit was that this was the closest to a Tormek's 220 grit, which I was using at the time. When I started out with CBN wheels, at that time no one else was using them for flat work. My article ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/WoodworkTec...SetUp.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Random question/thought that doesn't really answer your question, but something to consider. You mentioned hollow grinding. I've done hollow grinding on 6" and 8" wheels. I drastically prefer the 6" for hollow grinding, but I typically freehand sharpen after the grinding.

Not sure if 6" work well for lathe tools though.