WIXEY Digital Read Out
(12-20-2022, 02:46 AM)Ray Newman Wrote: Gents: thanks for the information. Guess I will order one this week. Again thank you for your insights.

Please report back and let us know how it goes.

I have a 735 here and one at the niece's. I hope to get around to some flat work for Christmas 2023.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(12-19-2022, 01:35 AM)Ray Newman Wrote: This week, my DeWalt 735x thicknesser should arrive. 

Has anyone put a WIXEY DRO on a DeWalt 735? Any problems with installation? Does it work well enough to justify the cost? https://www.infinitytools.com/wixey-0-6-...le-planers

According to the reviews, it is the cat's meow, but I am a natural skeptic when it comes to electronic gadgets.

I'm not a nay-sayer, but I've had my 735 for well over 10 years and it's right-on at any thickness I set it for.  If set for 3/4" it's right there every time.  If I want any in-between thickness, it's easy to turn the handle 1/8, 1/4, etc to get what I want.

Actually, I usually leave it 1/4 turn less than 3/4" (or whatever thickness) to allow for sanding.  As long as all the pieces are thicknessed to the same setting, that's all you need for joining into panels or cross-joining.  

The real trick IMHO is getting the same shoulders on mortise & tenons or tongue-in-grooves. The tongues or tenons are easy - it's the mortise or groove that is tough to get perfectly centered for me. Oh wait - this is getting off topic -- sorry I get carried away sometimes.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
I think mine is a slightly over version, but I got one for my 735 right after I bought it in 2008. Worth every penny.

My only complaint is that I have to recalibrate it when I change the battery. It's not a big deal though.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
Had Wixeys since the early 20's.
Cabinet saw
shaper
20" planer.

Also have one of the first original angle gauges.

Cats meow.....
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have one on both my table saw and my benchtop planer, since I don't do as much woodworking as I used to, it seems like every time I want to use one of them, the battery is dead.

I've had these DRO's for a while, so maybe battery life is better on the ones sold now.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I replace the batteries about once a year. The Wixey shuts it's self-off after awhile. My Sure DRO remains on.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor