Goodbye Powered Router Table
finally setting up my workshop again after moving to a new house and a few years of inactivity.  Preparing to built a bedroom set, and I had previously used a powered router table to make my mortices and used floating tenons.  Precise, makes for a great fit.  As I pondered options for the router table (insert for Sawstop, build one from wood, etc.) the light bulb went off and I decided to just go with hand cut joinery from here forward.  

So I grabbed a couple of boards and attempted a hand cut M&T joint.  Took me maybe 20 minutes, after maybe 5 years of inactivity, no prep, no Youtubes, just memory.  It was a great fit, square, tight but not too tight.  

So goodbye powered router for joinery, I won't miss the noise, dust, and danger to my fingers.  

I made a similar switch to hand tools for dovetails about ten years ago.  Previously used an Incra jig and router.  

Started a large chest of drawers and decided every drawer dovetail would be by hand.  For fun, I made each drawer with a different angle (see photo).  Making this transition for a project was a great way for me to switch methods.  

For the bedroom set, once I dimension the wood pieces, it's all hand tools.

Attached Files Image(s)

You did a swell job buddy and I would be MIGHTY proud to say I made them
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Wow, that dresser does look really great. 

I'm slowly trying to make the transition as well. Mostly due to space constraints. I like the idea of fitting a shop full of tools in a case that is not in the way (and so does my wife).
Very nice work.  I still just a jointer and planer for the rough work, but nearly all the joinery is by hand tools - much quieter work.
Haven't cut a dovetail in about 8 years decided to do a practice box first before I start the furniture.  The practice box will be a build in drawer in our master bathroom, replacing a laundry chute with a big drawer.  Using poplar and will be painted, so no pressure.  Glad I did the practice box first before I got started, but these will do.

Very pleasant experience with the LN 48 large tongue and groove plane cutting the drawer bottom slots.

All hand tools after dimensioning for the warmup project.

Attached Files Image(s)