Leaky Bathroom Fixture Question
My bathroom sink has separate hot and cold handles going into a single faucet. Recently, water started leaking out of the base of the cold handle when it was turned on. I think my kid tried to close it too hard. I turned off the water under the sink, but of course, when I turn the cold handle, I still get a trickle of water out from underneath the handle . And, when I turn on the hot water, water comes out of the cold handle.

My thought was that I could just replace the stem of cold handle. But with hot water leaking out of the base of the cold handle, I’m thinking I might have bigger problems and need to replace the whole fixture. (Or perhaps that’s just how it works.)

Any thoughts? Should I just take it apart and see what’s going on?

(12-23-2022, 02:13 PM)David Stone Wrote: My bathroom sink has separate hot and cold handles going into a single faucet.  Recently, water started leaking out of the base of the cold handle when it was turned on. I think my kid tried to close it too hard.  I turned off the water under the sink, but of course, when I turn the cold handle, I still get a trickle of water out from underneath the handle .  And, when I turn on the hot water, water comes out of the cold handle.

My thought was that I could just replace the stem of cold handle.  But with hot water leaking out of the base of the cold handle, I’m thinking I might have bigger problems and need to replace the whole fixture.  (Or perhaps that’s just how it works.)

Any thoughts?  Should I just take it apart and see what’s going on?

Replace the seals in the cold water side.  I think all will be well.  If you can't replace the seals separately then you'll have to replace the whole cartridge.  

John
Don’t blame your kid for an old worn out faucet part. Things happen and usually do so at inopportune times.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Tun off the cold water service valve under the sink. Remove the leaking handle. Pull the valve cartridge. Go to HD or a plumbing supplier and get a new valve cartridge . Put in the new valve cartridge.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(12-24-2022, 07:52 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Tun off the cold water service valve under the sink. Remove the leaking handle. Pull the valve cartridge. Go to HD or a plumbing supplier and get a new valve cartridge . Put in the new valve cartridge.

Get both as the other one will be going bad when you get home to make 2 trips then you wil still need 1 more trip to please the plumbing gods
And try to get the OEM brand cartridge is possible. I have a couple of those faucets (forgot the brand) and with the OEM cartridge the handle moves with very little effort and silky smooth. Seems that they stopped carrying the OEM at the home center so I just picked up what they had. Installed it and a lot of resistance on the handle. Double checked but nothing I did wrong, no deposits on the seat. It did loosen up over time but obviously a tolerance issue which I have experienced before in the plumbing world.

I needed a ball valve on a single handle faucet and the clerk was eyeballing mine against the size of the replacement units. He told me for the faucet I had, no part number exists. When I installed it, it was way too tight. Measured with a micrometer and it was about 1/32nd larger. Went to a pro plumbing store and the guy just handed me one, I thought I may have same issue but it worked fine although faucet leaks a bit now because body is probably damaged due to larger ball.

Now if I replace a faucet I go with Kohler because they have actual part numbers on the web and you can also order direct from them at reasonable prices. But it seems like their quality has gone down.

Probably a loaded question but what brand fixtures (faucets, shower valves etc.) do the more knowledgeable folks default to for mid range?
(12-30-2022, 07:24 PM)alexh1 Wrote: And try to get the OEM brand cartridge is possible. I have a couple of those faucets (forgot the brand) and with the OEM cartridge the handle moves with very little effort and silky smooth. Seems that they stopped carrying the OEM at the home center so I just picked up what they had. Installed it and a lot of resistance on the handle. Double checked but nothing I did wrong, no deposits on the seat. It did loosen up over time but obviously a tolerance issue which I have experienced before in the plumbing world.

I needed a ball valve on a single handle faucet and the clerk was eyeballing mine against the size of the replacement units. He told me for the faucet I had, no part number exists. When I installed it, it was way too tight. Measured with a micrometer and it was about 1/32nd larger. Went to a pro plumbing store and the guy just handed me one, I thought I may have same issue but it worked fine although faucet leaks a bit now because body is probably damaged due to larger ball.

Now if I replace a faucet I go with Kohler because they have actual part numbers on the web and you can also order direct from them at reasonable prices. But it seems like their quality has gone down.

Probably a loaded question but what brand fixtures (faucets, shower valves etc.) do the more knowledgeable folks default to for mid range?
I had three kohler faucets and they could not tell me the modle number even though there was a picture on one of those sites that show stuff from the 60's and 70's of products that are out dated and one was an ad for Kohler with green sinks and tubes and it had gold faucets exactly the same as mine. I didn't have the green stuff it was black sinks and tube
(12-30-2022, 07:24 PM)alexh1 Wrote: Probably a loaded question but what brand fixtures (faucets, shower valves etc.) do the more knowledgeable folks default to for mid range?

I've only had 1 problem with Moen and they sent me the part.. Others have had more issues but I suspect people have had problems with every brand. The only problem I've had was with our kitchen "touch" Mowen faucet was once in a while it dripped. I sent Moen an email with a picture of my faucet and they sent me a new solenoid. They were aware of the issue. The new part was an updated version.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Replace the cartridge. My builder grade ones in the guest bath started leaking on the cold side. The faucets were made by some wholesaler but I was able to track down the distributor and they sent me the hot and cold. I replaced both of them.

Thanks everyone. Stem was cracked. Replaced and all is good.