Icy storm door
I have the doggy door in the storm door, which exits onto a covered deck.  We usually leave the interior door open so the pups can come and go.  When it's VERY cold like it has been the past several days, the storm door frosts up, and because the interior door is open, melts down onto the wood  threshold (on the outside of the metal threshold of the interior door) and makes a little ice dam at the corner that keeps the storm door from closing.  Easy enough to scrape off.  I could proabably cut a 'relief' slot at the corner, but eventually it's still going to build up.

I know this is largely because I'm leaving the interior door open, but I've never had a storm door before.  I kind of think it's the price I'm going to have to pay to use the doors this way.... but I may be missing something... so I ask.

This is an old house with a non-standard height door and no room to change that.  To replace either the interior wooden door or the storm door would be a big enough PITA that I'd pay to have it done, and it doesn't seem like that would fix this anyway. 

??
I assume the storm door is aluminum? Maybe a new wood storm door is in your future shop build projects this spring?
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
(12-26-2022, 10:29 AM)Woodenfish Wrote: I assume the storm door is aluminum? Maybe a new wood storm door is in your future shop build projects this spring?

It is aluminum.  Never thought about wood.  Likely solve the ice problem, tho.  When I think wood storm doors I think screened affairs in southern houses.
(12-26-2022, 05:37 PM)KC Wrote: It is aluminum.  Never thought about wood.  Likely solve the ice problem, tho.  When I think wood storm doors, I think screened affairs in southern houses.

If it is only single pane glass, the glass it will still sweat and Ice up.    I have vinyl covered wood storm doors, the frames won't sweat but the glass does.     It is just the temperature difference between the outside and inside air along with the inside dew point.   Just like a cold drink will sweat.  Roly
(12-26-2022, 05:37 PM)KC Wrote: It is aluminum.  Never thought about wood.  Likely solve the ice problem, tho.  When I think wood storm doors I think screened affairs in southern houses.

The front door unit on my home is custom made from Douglas Fir. I chose a full panel glass storm door made from Pine that I could stain and varnish to match. The glass panel removes for the warmer months and I replace it with a screen panel. The door never ices or frosts and has a eastern exposure with a roof overhang to protect it from most weather. I’m located outside of Chicago in a neighboring County and we do get blowing snow up on the porch and against the door. The door unit has been installed since 2000 and since installation I have only had to recoat the spar urethane finish 1x last year. Other than that I’ve had no other needs. With a wood door being a thermal break I think your problem will be gone.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
I think that before I went to the time and/or expense of replacing the doors, I would try to become inventive and experiment a combination of doggy doors in both doors or a single doggy door on the interior door and just an opening the outer door. Perhaps there is a way to interlink doggy doors in both doors so that they would open/close simultaneously.
(12-26-2022, 05:59 AM)KC Wrote: I know this is largely because I'm leaving the interior door open, but I've never had a storm door before.  I kind of think it's the price I'm going to have to pay to use the doors this way.... but I may be missing something... so I ask.

We have that same doggy door, and the same problem in the circumstances you stated. I personally believe your assumption is correct, that's the price of doing things this way. In our case, this door faces south and catches the prevailing wind a lot, so we also have tremendous air leakage if there's a stout breeze. So limiting the interior door being open is about the only choice we have.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(12-26-2022, 09:06 PM)Willyou Wrote: I think that before I went to the time and/or expense of replacing the doors, I would try to become inventive and experiment a combination of doggy doors in both doors or a single doggy door on the interior door and just an opening the outer door. Perhaps there is a way to interlink doggy doors in both doors so that they would open/close simultaneously.

I thought about one in each, but the interior is an old(er) farmhouse type pine door with raised panels.  Having done it before, I know putting a doggie door in that looks like hell.  And I like the idea that when we close that door at night or when we leave, the pups are staying in.

I'm going to look a bit harder at the wood storm doors come warmer weather.  

Thanks for the replies!

edit to add for Fred... I've use the same model PetSafe doggie door in 4 houses now. This is the first one that doesn't blow open. In fact, the other day when it was 14 below was the first time I noticed it 'not quite catching' the magnet at the bottom if the pups were slow coming through. I've always found the installation 'fussy'... so this may be the first time I've gotten it right.
Have you thought of putting your doggie door somewhere other than through a door. Going through an inconspicuous place through a wall is usually doable and can be aesthetically more pleasing overall. Considering your double door situation, it might even be easier. Also, it should be easy enough to "latch" it when you don't want them going out.
(12-29-2022, 04:03 PM)Willyou Wrote: Have you thought of putting your doggie door somewhere other than through a door. Going through an inconspicuous place through a wall is usually doable and can be aesthetically more pleasing overall. Considering your double door situation, it might even be easier. Also, it should be easy enough to "latch" it when you don't want them going out.

Yes, I considered it.  Anywhere else would require step down from it to the ground, and dealing with the aluminum siding.