I think track saws are magic
(01-02-2023, 10:30 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: There are a lot of those people, including some who spend time and money on perfecting their woodshops with little actual output in the form of objects. (Bandits in the handtool forum is almost an exact opposite of them, caring little about how the shop looks as he tirelessly keeps on making things.). Both help make the woodworking world a better place for all.

One guy in the festool forum spent lots of energy and came up with his way of cutting narrow strips on the mft using the tracksaw (with the aid of dogs and various workarounds), something that takes seconds to do on a tablesaw. Well, he enjoyed it, and that's what counted. But, he didn't say or proclaim that his method could replace the tablesaw.

By the way, we are lucky that KC isn't a moderator.

Simon

Couple of you are.  
Winkgrin

Mostly civil, yeah... probably.   Petty and 'gotta have the last word-ish', 100%.
Ya'll keep debating. I've been considering a track saw for a while. I have home made jigs in 4' , 8' and 10'. A pain to store so i'm looking at a track. TS is going to stay. Track will be a convenience not a replacement.
Have trouble justifying the cost, but the storage would be nice. Seems every time I go into Lowe's their panel cutter is down. Setting up outside this time of year is a pain.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
(01-03-2023, 10:53 AM)firefighter Wrote: Ya'll keep debating. I've been considering a track saw for a while. I have home made jigs in 4' , 8' and 10'. A pain to store so i'm looking at a track. TS is going to stay. Track will be a convenience not a replacement.
Have trouble justifying the cost, but the storage would be nice. Seems every time I go into Lowe's their panel cutter is down. Setting up outside this time of year is a pain.

In my opinion, the utility of track saws for breaking down sheet goods is well known and not really up for debate. When I first started I didn't even own a truck and if I couldn't borrow somebody's vehicle I would have to use the panel saw at Lowe's or Home Depot. Those things produced a ridiculous amount of tear out, with or across the grain. Maybe fine for roof sheathing, not for anything even remotely appearance grade. The other options that you really have are a table saw (not really possible to wrangle 8' sheets on a table saw), shop-made jigs or straightedges (I still see people occasionally breaking down stuff in the store parking lot), or a track saw.

Now, the reason I started this was because I ultimately used mine as a jointer, and it did very well. If it's the best option for breaking down sheet goods cleanly (it's got to be close to it) and one of the only realistic options for putting a glue-ready edge on 12' 6/4 lumber, then it is more or less magic to me.
Another point i had overlooked. I have a jig for clamping stock to get a straight edge. I can get rid of that.

Not sure how they do it at the Lowe's you shop but i have gotten clean cuts in Maple ply.
Roger

Life isn't like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of Jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your rear tomorrow.

9-11 Never forget
Use my track saw for a jointer to this day on planed lumber, my skillset isn't good enough to joint a 10' board.

Ed
(01-03-2023, 12:42 PM)FS7 Wrote:  (I still see people occasionally breaking down stuff in the store parking lot), or a track saw.

That's when a cordless saw shines over a corded one. But most of my local lumber places no longer allow customers to break down sheet goods in their properties for safety/insurance reasons. Fortunately, complimentary cuts are offered (except when over a certain #).

As for working with full sheets on the tablesaw, that was why tracksaws became common. Norm Abram did work on some projects that required him to start with a full sheet on the tablesaw. His bench was the same height (or close to) as the tablesaw. In one NYW episode, he even did that on the Delta which had a short metal fence, but it was better when the tablesaw was replaced.

The trick to handling a full sheet on a tablesaw is to have a large infeed and a large outfeed table or support. Of course, the time-tested feeding and sighting techniques are still needed.

Simon
(01-03-2023, 12:42 PM)FS7 Wrote: In my opinion, the utility of track saws for breaking down sheet goods is well known and not really up for debate. When I first started I didn't even own a truck and if I couldn't borrow somebody's vehicle I would have to use the panel saw at Lowe's or Home Depot. Those things produced a ridiculous amount of tear out, with or across the grain.

It may depend on whether the blade had been sharpened sometime in the past decade or not.
(01-03-2023, 06:26 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: That's when a cordless saw shines over a corded one. But most of my local lumber places no longer allow customers to break down sheet goods in their properties for safety/insurance reasons. Fortunately, complimentary cuts are offered (except when over a certain #).

As for working with full sheets on the tablesaw, that was why tracksaws became common. Norm Abram did work on some projects that required him to start with a full sheet on the tablesaw. His bench was the same height (or close to) as the tablesaw. In one NYW episode, he even did that on the Delta which had a short metal fence, but it was better when the tablesaw was replaced.

The trick to handling a full sheet on a tablesaw is to have a large infeed and a large outfeed table or support. Of course, the time-tested feeding and sighting techniques are still needed.

Simon
I have a cabinet saw in a modest basement shop.  Never mind the "time tested feeding and sighting techniques". First I'd have to get the sheets on the table saw. By myself? Good luck with that. I'm sure it's simple cutting full sheets on a table saw with plenty of room around the saw and preferably 2 people in an on-grade shop. In my reality It's far easier to plop the sheet on the drive way on top of foam scraps and use the saw and guide of choice.
Guess you haven't seen or forgotten about the NYW videos in which Norm singlehandedly fed a 4×8. I could recall two such episodes, if not more. No one says the tablesaw does it better than a tracksaw in breaking down sheets, but it is not a mountain to climb either.

Feeding and sighting incorrectly are a common reason why people screw up. For them, a circular saw with a ripping guide or a tracksaw is obviously the way to do. Hey, not everyone should cut dovetails by hand!

If I handle a full sheet only once in a blue moon, I wouldn't get a tracksaw and a long track. I'd do it on the tablesaw even if I need someone to help me.

Simon
(01-05-2023, 12:28 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Guess you haven't seen or forgotten about the NYW videos in which Norm singlehandedly fed a 4×8. I could recall two such episodes, if not more. No one says the tablesaw does it better than a tracksaw in breaking down sheets, but it is not a mountain to climb either.

Feeding and sighting incorrectly are a common reason why people screw up. For them, a circular saw with a ripping guide or a tracksaw is obviously the way to do. Hey, not everyone should cut dovetails by hand!

If I handle a full sheet only once in a blue moon, I wouldn't get a tracksaw and a long track. I'd do it on the tablesaw even if I need someone to help me.

Simon

Funny, this thread is highlighting a couple of almost universal truths, 

One, there are almost limitless number of ways to perform any task with variable levels of ease, speed and cost.

And two, “the one I have chosen is the best, and you should do it my way” 
At my workplace this comes out as, “there’s my way, and the wrong way”

Unfortunately while number two is one most of us believe on some level, due to selection bias, it bears a strong resemblance to the number two of bathroom fame, it’s a bunch of $hit.  

Every person, and task has factors that you may not have encountered or be aware of.  
I’m blessed with a 30x60 on grade air conditioned shop, I have luxuries that someone working out of a basement or one car garage don’t have, I know this because along my journey I have worked out of each of those.  

So we are back to good, fast, cheap, pick two.
Most of us most of the time don’t want to sacrifice good, so we on some level balance speed and cost which is the argument that is seen here and in countless other threads. 

Track saws are fast, but not cheap, home made is usually less expensive but not always as fast.  It’s a balance that we all have to make for our own situation.