Angled apron joinery
I'm making a cabinet on a stand, sort of Krenov style, but mixing it up. I'm going to do mitered dovetails for the cabinet carcass, but bevel the edges toward the inside, so the doors will be inset a bit. 

I saw the attached post and thought it would be cool to angle the aprons of the base to the legs – sort of match the beveled edges on the cabinet. But ... I'm struggling with how to attach them to the legs and maintain strength in the joint. At the inside of the leg, I won't have enough wood to do a mortise/tenon joint. Maybe dowels will work?

Anyone have any ideas? Maybe it's a bad idea? Appreciate any thoughts!

Attached Files Image(s)

(12-30-2022, 09:13 PM)deancruse Wrote: I'm making a cabinet on a stand, sort of Krenov style, but mixing it up. I'm going to do mitered dovetails for the cabinet carcass, but bevel the edges toward the inside, so the doors will be inset a bit. 

I saw the attached post and thought it would be cool to angle the aprons of the base to the legs – sort of match the beveled edges on the cabinet. But ... I'm struggling with how to attach them to the legs and maintain strength in the joint. At the inside of the leg, I won't have enough wood to do a mortise/tenon joint. Maybe dowels will work?

Anyone have any ideas? Maybe it's a bad idea? Appreciate any thoughts!

One man's opinion... I think the aprons are distracting.  Love the door trim/frame/edge, tho.  To me, that's plenty of detail.
If you made the apron pieces from thicker stock and triangle shaped instead of angling them you may be able to find enough room for a tenon. You could use the inside edge as your reference.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
How much work are you up for?  It's possible.  

[Image: AL9nZEVPiXsxMaDycEM6-uxk_gPam-FrWS0GvV0a...authuser=1]

[Image: AL9nZEUmIw8toPH3xVwIr0Jbqq_P3p3Toy3WlPWf...authuser=1]

[Image: AL9nZEXB47w3C2jXLxsdF1tuELvQKlpsgJWPr_Pw...authuser=1]

[Image: AL9nZEVtyQLLzbyuf_sS9JD0ynOXyVrEVfoUVcvF...authuser=1]

John
Dowels or loose tenons would be my choice if you truly don't have enough wood to cut integral tenons or extend the length of the aprons and have them fit into slots cut into the legs.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-31-2022, 01:41 PM)jteneyck Wrote: How much work are you up for?  It's possible.  

[Image: AL9nZEVPiXsxMaDycEM6-uxk_gPam-FrWS0GvV0a...authuser=1]

[Image: AL9nZEUmIw8toPH3xVwIr0Jbqq_P3p3Toy3WlPWf...authuser=1]

[Image: AL9nZEXB47w3C2jXLxsdF1tuELvQKlpsgJWPr_Pw...authuser=1]

[Image: AL9nZEVtyQLLzbyuf_sS9JD0ynOXyVrEVfoUVcvF...authuser=1]

John

Wow, John. Probably more skills are needed than I possess! Impressive though.
(12-31-2022, 05:26 PM)AHill Wrote: Dowels or loose tenons would be my choice if you truly don't have enough wood to cut integral tenons or extend the length of the aprons and have them fit into slots cut into the legs.

I cut an extra leg and apron to experiment with. Thought about doing a modified bridle/castle joint. I've done that before for regular aprons and it was fun. The angle would be tricky though.
I hope you go for it; nice looking piece.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Not a fan. Need bigger tenons that's a lot of weight on top.