Knock-down executive desk design--castle joints?
Question 
I'm soon to start building a simple executive desk/table--30"x60".  It's been decided that it needs to be knock-down.  Recipient asked about using metal angle brackets to hold the aprons and legs together, but I'm interested in using castle joints instead. 

The legs have large square mating surfaces.  Legs and aprons are maple.  It will be a writing/computer desk. 

I've never built castle joints (though they look easy enough) and have never owned furniture with them.  Aesthetics aside, are *unglued* castle joints rigid enough for this application?
Semper fi,
Brad

I have never heard of them referred to as castle joints, but rather double bridle joints. They are extremely strong and I think used often in traditional Japanese joinery. I think (but could be wrong) that they are not glued anyway, as the strength and stability would not come from the glue but from each piece mechanically restricting the others.

If you have a Domino, I'd recommend looking into Festool's knockdown connectors. I used these when I converted the crib to a full-size bed, with three on each rail joint. They are easy to install and snug up the joints perfectly. Like anything Festool they aren't cheap, but it's definitely hard to argue with the ease of implementation and the actual results.
(01-02-2023, 03:33 PM)FS7 Wrote: I have never heard of them referred to as castle joints, but rather double bridle joints. They are extremely strong and I think used often in traditional Japanese joinery. I think (but could be wrong) that they are not glued anyway, as the strength and stability would not come from the glue but from each piece mechanically restricting the others.

If you have a Domino, I'd recommend looking into Festool's knockdown connectors. I used these when I converted the crib to a full-size bed, with three on each rail joint. They are easy to install and snug up the joints perfectly. Like anything Festool they aren't cheap, but it's definitely hard to argue with the ease of implementation and the actual results.

I don't have a Domino yet.  Will have to sell a few more tables before I can get one.
Semper fi,
Brad