Electric desk workbench?
I have an electric height adjustable desk in my shop office, and have been thinking about repurposing it to use on the shop floor.

It says the dual motors will lift 200lbs, so I was thinking of hanging some storage for festool systainers under it and using it for doing stuff like general assembly of smaller stuff, electronics, soldering etc, where having it higher for standing work would be nice, and lower for seated work. 

Has anyone done something like this, and if so what would you do differently?

Thanks 
Duke
(01-03-2023, 05:53 PM)JDuke Wrote: I have an electric height adjustable desk in my shop office, and have been thinking about repurposing it to use on the shop floor.

It says the dual motors will lift 200lbs, so I was thinking of hanging some storage for festool systainers under it and using it for doing stuff like general assembly of smaller stuff, electronics, soldering etc, where having it higher for standing work would be nice, and lower for seated work. 

Has anyone done something like this, and if so what would you do differently?

Thanks 
Duke

Electric desk lover here.

Keep in mind the load rating on some of these lifts is pretty low, and honestly, often overstated. I have a fancy 4 independent-leg-driven one, because I wanted to put a lot of monitors and computers on it, and my max is 535lb, but I honestly doubt it would do that.    I've got a solid wood top that probably costs me at least a hundred pounds.  If you only wanted it for electronics and smaller tools its probably fine, but it wouldn't resist racking force like you would want for woodworking.
Good to hear from someone who has one.

I’m thinking more for a general purpose work surface, not really a bench for planing or anything like that.

The weight on it would probably add up pretty quickly, so your correct it would probably need a higher weight rating than most of these desks have.

Probably not worth putting it together considering how limited it would be.

Thanks
Duke
(01-10-2023, 10:19 AM)JDuke Wrote: Good to hear from someone who has one.

I’m thinking more for a general purpose work surface, not really a bench for planing or anything like that.

The weight on it would probably add up pretty quickly, so your correct it would probably need a higher weight rating than most of these desks have.

Probably not worth putting it together considering how limited it would be.

Thanks
Duke

Weight you can work around, but ... they don't resist racking, like at all.  Even the sturdy ones.