LET THERE BE DRAGONS
what do you use for doing all your piercing work?
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(01-11-2023, 03:10 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: what do you use for doing all your piercing work?

Arlin I use a Dremel with a flex shaft and Rotozip bits for wood and other burs and Flexcut knives and gouges. 

Phoenix & Dragon update
Now that I have the large pieces removed around the first dragon I've started adding some 3-D details. I'm showing this now because by the next post it will have changed quite a bit. For those who are wanting to do this type of carving you can see how it changes from the last post to the next post.

Attached Files Image(s)

That's really some amazing work you're turning out, there! Thanks for sharing.
Okay everyone I've now covered the first section with tape and moved to the other dragon. This was done because the first part was getting a bit thin in areas. So here's what I've done so far today.

Attached Files Image(s)

(01-12-2023, 06:49 PM)Splinterz25 Wrote: Okay everyone I've now covered the first section with tape and moved to the other dragon. This was done because the first part was getting a bit thin in areas. So here's what I've done so far today.

pretty awesome . . . love watching the progression!  
Yes
Dragon & Phoenix

The carving continues when I have time. I had to change a flame at the bottom of the tail on this dragon the material was not thick enough to make 3 layers work. You can see in the photos as I'm correcting this, also I've removed a great deal more bulk material.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thank you Bruce, for taking us along.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Amazing work... I'm sure it will be breathtaking when done. 
Yes
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Dragon & Phoenix
Thank you everyone,
I did more refining shaping & sanding, this time around the dragon's head. I also removed more bulk and smoothed the body.

Attached Files Image(s)

Dragon & Phoenix

I continue to refine the details in the image and now have move into part of the Phoenix's wing and some of the open air flames. You should also see more distinction in the Dragons face and eyes.

Attached Files Image(s)