Pope Benedict Casket
Hand cut dovetails?

Attached Files Image(s)

I say no. Can't see any scribe marks. They are all exactly the same length. But, they could be. Wouldn't you want the best woodworker building a casket for a Pope?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Of course, they are hand cut.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
No idea (but i suspect they are) , but they are certainly well done.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The casket also has compound angles.  If you have ever visited the Vatican it's easy to guess there are some very skilled craftsmen available.  

Found this

And this

..the multiple coffins used are placed within one another. Following the Mass service of the late Pope’s funeral, Benedict’s cypress wood coffin was encased in a zinc coffin, followed by an exterior oak coffin, before being interred in the crypt beneath St. Peter’s Basilica that once housed St. John Paul II’s tomb.
I wonder if our resident priest and woodworker, Fr Peter Tremblay  built the casket 
Raised
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
Scribed lines tell nothing. Some remove them in handcut joinery while others add scribed lines after using a dovetail jig and router.

To me, judging from the slightly different tails (the blurry photo doesn't help), it was more likely cut by hand.

Simon
(01-05-2023, 09:13 AM)Danny in Houston Wrote: The casket also has compound angles.  If you have ever visited the Vatican it's easy to guess there are some very skilled craftsmen available.  

Found this

And this

..the multiple coffins used are placed within one another. Following the Mass service of the late Pope’s funeral, Benedict’s cypress wood coffin was encased in a zinc coffin, followed by an exterior oak coffin, before being interred in the crypt beneath St. Peter’s Basilica that once housed St. John Paul II’s tomb.

3 compartments. It must be heavy
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-10-2023, 06:59 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: 3 compartments. It must be heavy

I was wondering why they had so many pallbearers.  Now I know.  No wonder they carry it up on their shoulders.