Back in the Saddle
Haven't cut a dovetail in about 8 years, completed a drawer for a build in for practice before I start my next furniture project.  I'm pleased with these:

Attached Files Image(s)

Looking good! I built 20+ drawers for some shop cabinets a couple of years ago and used my Incra jig on the router table to dovetail them. It was a production job and I was able to stack them in multiples. Also had never used the jig for that task before so there was a learning curve.

I saw your other post showing the drawers you hand dovetailed for that chest of drawers you built recently and they looked very nice IMO. I haven't hand cut a lot of dovetails but would like to do more in the future. I've picked up quite a few tips from Derek Cohen's posts here and his web site.

Any tips or techniques you'd care to share?

Thanks,

Doug
(01-06-2023, 10:50 AM)Tapper Wrote: Looking good! I built 20+ drawers for some shop cabinets a couple of years ago and used my Incra jig on the router table to dovetail them. It was a production job and I was able to stack them in multiples. Also had never used the jig for that task before so there was a learning curve.

I saw your other post showing the drawers you hand dovetailed for that chest of drawers you built recently and they looked very nice IMO. I haven't hand cut a lot of dovetails but would like to do more in the future. I've picked up quite a few tips from Derek Cohen's posts here and his web site.

Any tips or techniques you'd care to share?

Thanks,

Doug

I was fortunate to have attended several woodworking classes taught by Paul Sellers years ago when he was at Homestead Heritage near Waco, Texas.  That's where I first learned how to make these.  

Homestead still has some of the best woodworking classes in the world, although Paul is no longer there.  

My advice to anyone is watch videos and get training but then just dive in and start making them.  The first one will be awful but they will get better and better.  I've made hundreds and each time I learn something new.  

These videos are excellent:

Paul Sellers Basic Dovetail

Paul Sellers Advanced Dovetails
If you want EARLY success with minimal frustrations, take a class in person. A good teacher will not only show you how to, but also point out where or how you go wrong, and help you avoid repeating that.

Simon
(01-06-2023, 11:12 AM)Danny in Houston Wrote: Homestead still has some of the best woodworking classes in the world, although Paul is no longer there.  

+1 on Homestead woodworking.
Frank Strazza was the most amazing teacher I have ever had.  He too, has moved on.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
(01-06-2023, 11:12 AM)Danny in Houston Wrote: I was fortunate to have attended several woodworking classes taught by Paul Sellers years ago when he was at Homestead Heritage near Waco, Texas.  That's where I first learned how to make these.  

Homestead still has some of the best woodworking classes in the world, although Paul is no longer there.  

My advice to anyone is watch videos and get training but then just dive in and start making them.  The first one will be awful but they will get better and better.  I've made hundreds and each time I learn something new.  

These videos are excellent:

Paul Sellers Basic Dovetail

Paul Sellers Advanced Dovetails

Watched the videos - don't think I've seen Sellers before. I liked the precision with which he worked and picked up a few tips. His template for doing multiple duplicate hand cut dovetails seems like a good idea. In the first video, although I realize he was teaching, took almost 40 minutes to cut one corner of a two dovetail setup. Using his technique to cut out the waste takes most of the time.

I've watched videos of other dovetail instructors and most every one cuts out most of the waste of through dovetails with a fret saw - saves a lot of time over his technique. It also relieves the pressure when trimming out what is left of the waste.

Again, no expert here but would be inclined to try to perfect that technique rather than continuously flipping the board from side to side chopping out all of the waste with a chisel.

Doug
(01-06-2023, 09:50 AM)Danny in Houston Wrote: Haven't cut a dovetail in about 8 years, completed a drawer for a build in for practice before I start my next furniture project.  I'm pleased with these:

very impressive!

I haven't cut anything for a project.  I am still practicing the saw cuts on pieces of poplar and/or hickory.
Dave

I must admit that I seldom used the dovetail joint for drawer boxes. Most of the time I used box joints and they seemed to work about as well with less effort. Here's one I made for a cabinet drawer, all ash:

Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
Good to see you back Danny
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020