How can this be a shop tip?
My buddy was furious to see his Wood in his mail box. One guy said he bought a handscrew kit, followed the instructions and made his own handscrew out of wood. And Wood published it as a tip!!!!!!!

Simon
It "may" have saved him a little bit of money. Not really a tip though.
True.

If saving a bit of money was considered a shop tip, I have a better one: quit woodworking and save tons!

Unless my buddy has misread that tip, I think it's better to have fewer tips in the issue if good ones aren't found.

Simon
A lot of beginners wouldn't know you could buy the parts and make your own to save a buck (maybe).

Nothing new to us, but I expect a lot of those tips aren't.
Here’s a tip:

Don’t pet the sweaty things.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Say that to the guy who has a paid subscription and expects to see tips that are not simply telling you to make something out of a kit.

Simon
(01-07-2023, 09:23 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: Here’s a tip:

Don’t pet the sweaty things.

And don't sweat the petty things!
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin

Taylor Toolwoks has a kit for handscrews.

They also have some plans to add some extra holes and such that make the handscrew clamp even more versatile. 
I will experiment with some old ash logs I have laying around
Dave

(01-07-2023, 08:01 AM)KC Wrote: A lot of beginners wouldn't know you could buy the parts and make your own to save a buck (maybe).

Nothing new to us, but I expect a lot of those tips aren't.

tip to beginners:
to keep you pencils sharper longer, get a hand crank pencil sharpener. a few cranks and viola- sharp pencil!
Big Grin
(01-09-2023, 09:22 AM)Dave S® Wrote:
Taylor Toolwoks has a kit for handscrews.

They also have some plans to add some extra holes and such that make the handscrew clamp even more versatile. 
I will experiment with some old ash logs I have laying around

I will be curios to see what you come up with.