Speaking of chuck keys...
Are they standardized? I have a Jacobs chuck on my lathe that needs a key. The one from my drill press fits it sorta, but not perfectly. I bought the lathe and some accessories 2nd hand, so I've never seen the original. I'd buy one of the 'universal' 4-way chucks if I could be sure one of the 4 would fit. Thank you!
Not standard. Key size is dependant on chuck size.
Check McMaster Carr, they should size the keys by the number on your chuck.

Ed
(01-07-2023, 07:09 PM)EdL Wrote: Not standard. Key size is dependant on chuck size.
Check McMaster Carr, they should size the keys by the number on your chuck.

Ed

Thanks for this! I don't know why I didn't think of McMaster Carr. They do indeed sell by matching the number on the chuck. All that aside, you'd like to think they'd narrow it down to a few standard sizes.
If you know the size of the chuck key and haven't ordered one yet, I may have one and can send it to you for free. For some odd reason, over the years I've collected a few chuck keys.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
You can contact Jacobs Chuck and they will help you determine which key you need for the chuck. Very helpful.
(01-08-2023, 05:20 PM)Philip1231 Wrote: You can contact Jacobs Chuck and they will help you determine which key you need for the chuck. Very helpful.